Compression techniques

Amms

Sep 5, 2022, 2:04:14 AM9/5/22
to cornerstone platform
Hello,

 Some clarification is needed for the below mentioned points

1. Which is the best compression techniques for dicom image?

2.  Are the  compressions techniques like JPEG LS Lossless, JPEG Lossless etc are reversible? Suppose the compressed image  is not readable due to a bug in the compression algorithm, how to get back the original uncompressed image from the compressed one ?

3. From the compression techniques JPEG LS Lossless, JPEG Lossless and JPEG LS Lossless, JPEG Lossless which one is better?

Any support is appreciable.

Thanks in advance.

se®kan

Sep 5, 2022, 3:41:30 AM9/5/22
to Amms, cornerstone platform
Hello,
David clunie is very expert in Medical images, the content is a bit old but it can help you.

https://www.dclunie.com/
https://www.dclunie.com/papers/compressionJ2Kand3D.pdf
https://www.dclunie.com/papers/spie_mi_2002_compression.pdf

As far as I know, images with lossy compression formats applied It cannot be restored to its original state! I'm not exactly sure

ok.

Amms

Sep 5, 2022, 8:34:24 AM9/5/22
to cornerstone platform
Thank you  for the fast response.

Amms

Sep 5, 2022, 8:37:55 AM9/5/22
to cornerstone platform

How the cornerstone.loadImage() supports compression and decompression?..  cornerstone.loadImage() display the  already compressed  image ? Does it decompress before display the image?

Chris Hafey

Sep 5, 2022, 9:27:16 AM9/5/22
to Amms, cornerstone platform
1. There is no best compression technique - each has its pros and cons depending upon your use case
2. Lossless compression algorithms are by definition reversible
3. Depends on your use case - what are you trying to do exactly?

You may want to look into HTJ2K which has an approved work item to add it to the DICOM standard.  HTJ2K features high lossless compression ratios, progressive resolution access and very fast decode speed (faster than JPEG-LS and JPEG2000).  You can learn more about it here: https://github.com/chafey/HTJ2KResources/

--
Message has been deleted

Amms

Sep 5, 2022, 11:43:30 AM9/5/22
to cornerstone platform
Thank you.

2. Does cornerstone supports decompression of   Lossless compression algorithms.

3. I am working on a DICOM viewer application which is using dcm4chee and cornerstonejs. Using dcm4chee compression rules, compressed the received dicom images from main pacs , for time being JPEG LS Lossless for eg, and archived it in my remote pacs. The archived compressed dicom instance then load and displayed using  cornerstone.loadAndCacheImage(ImageId) and cornerstone.displayImage() functions in the application.  So my question is on using these functions does it  uncompress the archived image and display or  the archived compressed image loads as such?

Chris Hafey

Sep 5, 2022, 12:45:30 PM9/5/22
to Amms, cornerstone platform
CornerstoneWADOImageLoader can decompress all DICOM transfer syntaxes include JPEG-LS:

On Mon, Sep 5, 2022 at 9:43 AM Amms <amrit...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am working on a DICOM viewer application which is using dcm4chee and cornerstonejs. Using dcm4chee compression rules, compressed the received dicom images from main pacs , for time being JPEG LS Lossless for eg, and archived it in my remote pacs. The archived compressed dicom instance then load and displayed using  cornerstone.loadAndCacheImage(ImageId) and cornerstone.displayImage() functions in the application.  So my question is on using these functions does it  uncompress the archived image and display or  the archived compressed image loads as such?

Amms

Sep 5, 2022, 9:06:54 PM9/5/22
to cornerstone platform
Does CornerstoneWADOImageLoader decompress all DICOM transfer syntaxes  by default or have do anything from our part,  any configurations?