Final Regrade Requests

Zack Zeno

Dec 17, 2010, 5:26:50 AM12/17/10
to Cornell CS 2110
Will we be given an opportunity to submit a regrade request for the
final?

Ken Birman

Dec 17, 2010, 8:04:15 AM12/17/10
to Cornell CS 2110
Under Cornell rules, I need to submit the final letter grades for the
course TODAY. This doesn't leave time for regrade requests right now.

But you can examine (not keep) your graded exam starting next week; my
secretary Amy Finch-Seeley will have them. If you need to do so you
can make a xerox copy of your exam. for you to keep.

To request a regrade, you need to type, not hand-write, the precise
reason for your regrade request and leave the reason clipped to the
original graded exam. One of us will look at it
(us={ken,lonnie,hussam,johnathon}. If we change your grade, I'll see
if it helps or harms (sometimes regrades catch mistakes missed on the
original grading; we tend to look at the whole exam and check for
other kinds of errors by our graders, since a tired grader can make
mistakes of two kinds -- in your favor, as well as against you).
Anyhow, with the revised grade I revise your final letter grade and
then we put in a change-of-grade form. It shows up on your registrar
version of your grades within about a week, and sometimes the very
same day.

Sorry if this seems a bit involved but this is the Cornell policy,
even the part about not getting your exams back. For some reason,
that's how they handle finals, and always has been!

Ken Birman

Dec 17, 2010, 8:05:44 AM12/17/10
to Cornell CS 2110
PS: And yes, letter grades can go down, not up, as a result of this
process. After all, your letter grade should reflect the grade you
earned. But in my experience that doesn't happen very often.

Zack Zeno

Dec 20, 2010, 2:49:53 AM12/20/10
to Cornell CS 2110
Will we still be able to submit a regrade request next semester? I had
to leave my dorm by Saturday so I'm home now.

Johnathon Schultz

Dec 20, 2010, 2:56:46 AM12/20/10
to cornell...@googlegroups.com
Yes, regrade requests can happen next semester.

Johnathon