SwiftUI code for Core Plot for Mac and iOS

Jeffrey Terry

Dec 17, 2020, 9:51:00 PM12/17/20
to coreplot-discuss
Hi All,

I have posted SwiftUI code that can be used to display a Core Plot on a Mac, iPhone, and iPad on GitHub. https://github.com/jterry94/SwiftUICorePlotExample

It updates plot when the data changes, axis labels change, and when the range changes.

I would like to thank Fred Appelman for all of his assistance. I never would have gotten this working without his help. I learned a ton about SwiftUI from this exercise.

I cleaned up the code and added comments.
I hope it helps someone else.

Jeff

JustFred

Dec 18, 2020, 5:26:54 AM12/18/20
to coreplot-discuss
@Jeff: Thank you for the kind words.

You have now given CorePlot 7 arguments, and you can imagine that it is not good practice to add 4 more to set the padding, a few more color control etc.

I have updated my example github which now has an option to set the padding using the technique:

            CorePlot(....)
                .padding(left: 10)
                .padding(right: 10)

Obviously CorePlot has many more settings that you would like to expose, but I just went for the easy ones :-)

Maybe you can add that to your code example.

Jeffrey Terry

Dec 19, 2020, 1:24:32 AM12/19/20
to coreplot-discuss
Hi Fred,

I have absolutely no idea how and why what you did there works.
I don't know how .padding(left:10) somehow sets options.paddingLeft = 10.

Can you point me to a tutorial or something on using options?

I trying adding another variable, a simple string, and tried setting it but failed. I think this one may be way beyond my understanding of SwiftUI.

Jeffrey Terry

Dec 19, 2020, 1:39:17 AM12/19/20
to coreplot-discuss
Never mind. I figured it out. You just chose the function name padding for the extension. You did not have to use a keyword like .padding() from SwiftUI. That function could have been named anything in your extension of CorePlot. I have it working now.

JustFred

Dec 19, 2020, 4:40:44 AM12/19/20
to coreplot-discuss
You figured it out :-)

e.g.

    func paddingLeft(_ left: CGFloat) -> CorePlot {
        options.paddingLeft = left
        return self
    }

would have worked as well.

Jeffrey Terry

Dec 19, 2020, 10:59:25 AM12/19/20
to coreplot-discuss
Added those changes but they only work for static parameters. I made an observable object so I could pass all the changing parameters at once rather than individually. That reduced the number of passed parameters to two.

JustFred

Dec 19, 2020, 11:15:38 AM12/19/20
to coreplot-discuss
I would think it should work for dynamic parameters as well.

Something like this:
     @State var paddingSmall = false

     CorePlot(...)
         .padding(left: paddingSmall ? 5 : 25)

should cause a redraw if paddingSmall would change value.

JustFred

Dec 19, 2020, 11:16:54 AM12/19/20
to coreplot-discuss
The observable object is a good idea btw.

Jeffrey Terry

Dec 19, 2020, 3:25:36 PM12/19/20
to coreplot-discuss

I had tried is as @Binding rather than @State. If I ever figure out when to use @Binding, @State, @EnvironmentObject, etc., it will be a miracle.

Jeffrey Terry

Dec 19, 2020, 3:26:35 PM12/19/20
to coreplot-discuss
I think I'm going to leave it that way and pass static and variable plot parameters in the different manner so it is easier to tell the difference between the two.