Announcing Flatcar Container Linux

Thilo Fromm

Feb 24, 2020, 12:55:04 PM2/24/20
to CoreOS User

Hello fans of CoreOS Container Linux,

Following the End-of-Life announcement of CoreOS Container Linux, we’d like to raise awareness of Flatcar Container Linux. As Red Hat kindly mentioned in the EOL announcement,. Flatcar is a friendly fork of CoreOS Container Linux - it’s actively maintained and fully open source.

As a fork, Flatcar is a drop-in replacement for CoreOS Container Linux. This means you can upgrade from your existing installations with minimal effort. Upgrading from CoreOS Container Linux to Flatcar Container Linux should not entail significantly more effort than upgrading from one CoreOS Container Linux release to another.

Flatcar Container Linux will see further development - e.g. recently re-introducing ARM support to the Alpha channel -  while always staying true to the original Container Linux vision. We further introduced a new channel - Edge - which allows us and the Flatcar community to experiment with the latest kernel features and cutting-edge technology.

We would love to engage with all of you! For general discussions, please use our users and dev Google groups. Bug reports and feature requests should be filed to the main repository of the github org; the project’s roadmap will be published there soon, too. For a quick chat with users and devs please tune in to the #flatcar IRC channel at irc.freenode.net.

We are very grateful for the great work of both the engineers at the Red Hat / CoreOS team and independent contributors put into CoreOS Container Linux. We are excited to carry this work forward.

Flatcar Container Linux is, and always will be, a fully open source project, deeply rooted in the values of the open source community. Contributions and feedback from the community are always welcome. For commercial customers Kinvolk offers support subscriptions (including the managed Kinvolk Update Service, akin to CoreOS’s CoreUpdate), as well as custom engineering services - please reach out to he...@kinvolk.io to learn more.

Best Regards,

The Flatcar Container Linux team at Kinvolk