cgroupdriver=systemd?

Mars White

Dec 2, 2019, 9:11:11 PM12/2/19
to CoreOS User

Currently running Kubernetes 1.11.10, CoreOS 2247.7.0 (latest AWS AMI, at least). We're seeing issues where nodes are unstable at high load.

Based on everything I can find on upstream Kubernetes (https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/production-environment/container-runtimes/#cgroup-drivers) and various project recommendations (like Kubeadm: https://github.com/kubernetes/kubeadm/issues/1394), it seems to be recommended to use `systemd` to control cgroups on systems that are already running systemd -- like CoreOS. However, CoreOS ships with the docker default `cgroupfs` manager.

Can anyone shed light on why this is the case? Have the cgroup driver configuration recommendations changed since this thread? How should I be overriding Docker and Kubelet configurations to configure cgroupdriver?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Jeddeloh

Dec 3, 2019, 3:01:51 PM12/3/19
to Mars White, CoreOS User
We keep the same cgroup driver for backwards compat. If it's causing
issues for your use case, you can try switching as described in the
issue you linked.

- Andrew