CoreOS EOL and working

karthick t

Aug 9, 2020, 4:32:55 AM8/9/20
to CoreOS User
Hi All,

We understand that the CoreOS is EOL and images will be removed by 1st September. Could you please advise if the existing clusters continue to work after september 1 till we upgrade to Flatcar? The reason for ask is we stop and start our clusters on daily basis  would it come up fine and also if any termination of EC2 / worker nodes happens will it come online fine with coreOS itself as its an existing cluster? Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards
Karthick

Benjamin Gilbert

Aug 10, 2020, 6:31:49 PM8/10/20
to karthick t, CoreOS User
On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 4:33 AM karthick t <karthik.th...@gmail.com> wrote:
We understand that the CoreOS is EOL and images will be removed by 1st September.

Images will be removed on or after September 1, not before.

Could you please advise if the existing clusters continue to work after september 1 till we upgrade to Flatcar? The reason for ask is we stop and start our clusters on daily basis  would it come up fine and also if any termination of EC2 / worker nodes happens will it come online fine with coreOS itself as its an existing cluster?

Existing instances will continue running, and you should be able to reboot/stop/start existing instances without problems.  You will not be able to launch new CoreOS Container Linux instances after September 1 unless you copy the relevant AMI to your own account and launch from the copy.

Best,
--Benjamin Gilbert

karthick t

Aug 10, 2020, 8:58:59 PM8/10/20
to CoreOS User
Thanks Benjamin, we do have a local AMI but would the new EC2 which spins up will come online e.g. the container images get downloaded for dependent services like flannel etc?

Regards
Karthick

karthick t

Aug 11, 2020, 8:02:48 AM8/11/20
to CoreOS User
Thanks Benjamin. Could you please advise if the dependencies for CoreOS that are available in places like quay.io etc will be still available or not starting 1st September.? Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards
Karthick

Nick Stielau

Aug 11, 2020, 11:06:47 AM8/11/20
to karthick t, CoreOS User
Hey Karthick,

As Benjamin mentioned, you should be able to reboot/stop/start existing instances without problems.  However, we're in a difficult position to make anything that amounts to a statement of support, given that we are not supporting or maintaining Container Linux.  If this is critical to your use-case, we recommend migrating to a new OS, or mitigating by cloning containers to container repositories that you control.  It's also a reasonable expectation, or a least thought experiment, to assume that there will be critical security vulnerabilities affecting these hosts in the future.

-----
Nick Stielau
He/Him/His
SFO, OpenShift

Benjamin Gilbert

Aug 11, 2020, 3:37:38 PM8/11/20
to karthick t, CoreOS User
On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 8:02 AM karthick t <karthik.th...@gmail.com> wrote:
Could you please advise if the dependencies for CoreOS that are available in places like quay.io etc will be still available or not starting 1st September.?

We have no current plans to remove container images from quay.io.  However, if you're not running the most recent release of Container Linux, see here for mitigations you may need to apply.

--Benjamin Gilbert