cygwin user, plz help me get logged in

mquisto

Apr 30, 2020, 7:43:03 PM4/30/20
to CoreOS User
these are the posted instructions:

Networking can take a bit of time to come up under VirtualBox, and the IP is needed in order to connect to it. Press enter a few times at the login prompt to see an IP address pop up. If you see VirtualBox NAT IP 10.0.2.15, go to the virtual machine settings and click the Network tab then Port Forwarding. Add the rule "Host Port: 2222; Guest Port 22" then connect using the command ssh core@localhost -p2222.
Now, login using your private SSH key.

okay, I understand there is no default password (!), so I generated a self-signed keypair in cygwin and added it to my agent.  I try 'ssh core@localhost -p2222' after creating the port forward rule and I am prompted for a password which of course I do not have (the password for my key does not work).

any else set this up with cygwin?  thx

mquisto

Apr 30, 2020, 8:01:03 PM4/30/20
to CoreOS User
btw, I am using VirtualBox on windows 10 home.  I am using these instructions:

Nick Stielau

May 1, 2020, 10:35:40 AM5/1/20
to mquisto, CoreOS User
Try "ssh -vvv core@localhost -p2222" and see which keys it is offering before it falls back to trying password auth.  You can try specifying you key explicitly with "ssh -i ~/.ssh/mykey core@localhost -p2222". Hope that helps, have a great day! -Nick

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 5:01 PM mquisto <mqui...@gmail.com> wrote:
btw, I am using VirtualBox on windows 10 home.  I am using these instructions:

-----
Nick Stielau
He/Him/His
SFO, OpenShift

mquisto

May 1, 2020, 6:15:11 PM5/1/20
to CoreOS User
thanks for the reply Nick
looks like my private key is being offered, but it never receives a response from the server (so my ssh process starts trying other authentication methods).  I don't see anything wrong in the virtualbox log for my machine, and of course I can't access the server's logs since I have no default password (I also can't paste my public key into authorized_users, and running ssh-copy-id just queries me for the password).

debug1: Connecting to 127.0.0.1 [127.0.0.1] port 2222.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file C:\\Users\\dean/.ssh/id_rsa type 0
debug1: Offering public key: RSA SHA256:NtnfarwvOAT2yFyJFeQyTURE/ap1+sHmOzfBIGAeqDo C:\\Users\\dean/.ssh/id_rsa
debug3: send_pubkey_test
debug3: send packet: type 50
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug3: receive packet: type 51