Docker 19.03 on CoreOS

Louis Pilfold

Nov 21, 2019, 8:05:15 AM11/21/19
to CoreOS User
Hello everyone!

Security at my company are mandating that we use a new version of docker (19.03), but it seems that CoreOS uses the older and now unsupported 18.06 version in every channel.
Is there a recommended approach to upgrading docker and is there a reason why CoreOS uses an older version?

Thank you.

Benjamin Gilbert

Nov 21, 2019, 1:13:45 PM11/21/19
to Louis Pilfold, CoreOS User
On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 8:05 AM Louis Pilfold <louisp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Security at my company are mandating that we use a new version of docker (19.03), but it seems that CoreOS uses the older and now unsupported 18.06 version in every channel.
Is there a recommended approach to upgrading docker and is there a reason why CoreOS uses an older version?

Hi,

See https://github.com/coreos/bugs/issues/2624#issuecomment-550111416.  There are no plans to upgrade Docker in Container Linux before Container Linux reaches end of life.  It's technically possible to build a torcx image with a newer Docker version and deploy it to Container Linux nodes, but I'm not aware of any documentation that specifically describes that process.

--Benjamin Gilbert

Mars White

Dec 2, 2019, 9:19:05 PM12/2/19
to CoreOS User
All the press releases, interviews, blogs, etc that I can find seem to indicate CoreOS will continue to be developed by the community, and so the concept of EoL doesn't apply (e.g. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/coreos-user/GR4YlF2c1dM).

Was there some EoL announcement? What am I misunderstanding?

-M

Andrew Jeddeloh

Dec 3, 2019, 3:04:12 PM12/3/19
to Mars White, CoreOS User
There are no plans for CL to be community maintained after EOL. We are
in maintenance mode right now. We don't have a hard EOL date but will
certainly post to this list once we do.

- Andrew