Security issue in Clair v2.0.9

Brent Borovan

Oct 18, 2019, 2:10:24 PM10/18/19
to CoreOS Dev
Hello,

I recently installed the latest version of Clair (v2.0.9) as a new Docker image and ran a Clair scan on this image using klar with a "High" threshold. Klar return an outstanding security issue which ironically is not patched.

Here is the reported issue:
Analysing 9 layers
Got results from Clair API v1
Found 1 vulnerabilities
High: 1

CVE-2019-14697: [High]
Found in: musl [1.1.20-r3]
Fixed By: 1.1.20-r5

Are there plans to patch this soon and if not does anyone know the recommended way to resolve this?

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Rob Szumski

Oct 21, 2019, 1:43:21 PM10/21/19
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

This is a CVE for musl, which is the libc used in Alpine Linux. The image Red Hat officially supports for Clair is based on RHEL, so it does not have this issue.

This dependency will be bumped with the next release of Clair.

 - Rob

Brent Borovan

Oct 21, 2019, 2:31:45 PM10/21/19
to CoreOS Dev
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info and is appreciated.

I am using the image quay.io/coreos/clair:v2.0.9 which I assumed is the official images, but perhaps not?

Will await the newest image in any case.

Regards and thanks again,
Brent

Rob Szumski

Oct 21, 2019, 2:56:50 PM10/21/19
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
I believe that is the community image. It should be updated soon.

The product images should come from registry.redhat.io.

Brent Borovan

Oct 21, 2019, 3:07:15 PM10/21/19
to CoreOS Dev
Ok thanks for the info!