Privilege TCP Ports

Mark Madlangbayan

Feb 19, 2019, 1:17:46 PM2/19/19
to CoreOS Dev
Hello,

I have a java-based docker container hosted on CoreOS 4.14.96-coreos-r1 just using systemd running us the core user.  I'm having a hard time making it to work with ports lower than 1024.  I'm specifically trying to use TCP 443.  On Ubuntu, I use AuthBind, but I don't how to do it on CoreOs Linux Container.

Thanks,
Mark

David Michael

Feb 19, 2019, 1:35:34 PM2/19/19
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 1:17 PM Mark Madlangbayan
<mark.mad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a java-based docker container hosted on CoreOS 4.14.96-coreos-r1 just using systemd running us the core user. I'm having a hard time making it to work with ports lower than 1024. I'm specifically trying to use TCP 443. On Ubuntu, I use AuthBind, but I don't how to do it on CoreOs Linux Container.

Docker runs as root, so it has permission to bind privileged ports.
If you mean the service inside the container is causing problems, you
could have it use e.g. 8443 and let Docker map it to the host 443 like
"docker run -p 443:8443".

Thanks.

David

Mark Madlangbayan

Feb 19, 2019, 2:26:56 PM2/19/19
to CoreOS Dev
Thank you David, you're exactly right.  Defining it in the container using a higher port number and then mapping to 443 make it to work.  Have a great day!