Why CoreOS has /usr as read only ? is this only because to make auto-update work fine ?

Parag Gupta

Oct 23, 2019, 6:47:32 AM10/23/19
to CoreOS Dev
Do we have any other reason and advantage to make /usr as read-only?
I know this is read-only to make auto-update work smoothly?
What are the other reasons for the same ?

Nick Stielau

Oct 23, 2019, 8:34:45 AM10/23/19
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Mounting /usr read-only, and generally as much of the disk as possible, reduces security surface area and the possibility for configuration-drift across a fleet of servers.

See [1] for an example of a security vulnerability that was mitigated by the read-only disk.

-----
Nick Stielau
He - Him - His
SFO, OpenShift