How to list CoreOS updates ?

Parag Gupta

Oct 23, 2019, 6:45:21 AM10/23/19
to CoreOS Dev
Hello, can anyone tell me how can I see updates downloaded in partition B(inactive)?
Please share the command to the list of downloaded updates

Rob Szumski

Oct 23, 2019, 9:30:28 AM10/23/19
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Only one update is downloaded at a time to the inactive partition. You can see that with the journal: https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/switching-channels.html#debugging

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 6:45 AM Parag Gupta <paraggu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, can anyone tell me how can I see updates downloaded in partition B(inactive)?
Please share the command to the list of downloaded updates

Neil Mayhew

Oct 23, 2019, 6:42:38 PM10/23/19
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
There's a good description of how the system switches between root partitions here, including information on how to see which one is going to boot next.
Message has been deleted

Parag Gupta

Nick Stielau

Oct 24, 2019, 11:42:02 AM10/24/19
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Parag,

Since you mentioned Fleet, I wanted to make sure you knew it was deprecated in favor of kubernetes: https://coreos.com/blog/migrating-from-fleet-to-kubernetes.html

And while I'm mentioning deprecations, I wanted to make sure you knew that Container Linux will sunset next year, and Fedora CoreOS will be the new general-purpose immutable host we are investing in: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fedora-coreos/faq/

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/coreos-dev/53be41e9-d58c-4e02-8472-937eccddeea7%40googlegroups.com.

--
-----
Nick Stielau

Parag Gupta

Nick Stielau

Oct 25, 2019, 3:04:56 PM10/25/19
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 10:43 PM Parag Gupta <paraggu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Nick, i am aware about this that container Linux is going to decomission. i have one question from you that i learned that kubernetes uses etcd . So if i launch coreOS cluster using kubernetes so will it use coreOS etcd or its own etcd ? (this might be a silly question but i am confused about this)

Kubernetes needs to connect to an etcd cluster.  Typically, an installer for kubernetes (like Red Hat's OpenShift Installer) will co-locate the etcd cluster on the Kubernetes master nodes, which also have the API servers that would be reading/writing to etcd.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "launch a coreOS cluster using kubernetes."  You could run your Kubernetes cluster on top of Container Linux nodes (as CoreOS company did with their Tectonic enterprise Kubernetes product).  You could also run an etcd cluster on Container Linux, and create a Kuberenetes cluster running on RHEL that connected to the etcd cluster running on etcd (not sure why you'd do that, just trying to express flexibility).

I think splitting out the host operating system, the etcd datastore, the kuberenetes api-server and your applications is a good idea when thinking about Kubernetes architecture.

Hope that helps!

-Nick

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/coreos-dev/1b80eb41-e57a-4218-adbd-d3975f102326%40googlegroups.com.