מעכשיו פוסטים חדשים מ-Usenet לא יופיעו ואי אפשר להירשם לתוכן מ-Usenet בקבוצות Google. התוכן שכבר פורסם עדיין יופיע.

PS Drivers and consistency

צפייה אחת
מעבר להודעה הראשונה שלא נקראה

David Williams

לא נקראה,
16 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0016.10.1998
עד
I am working on a publication that will go out to a service bureau. In
creating PostScript print files, I noticed that the text flow was
changing from my proof copy printed on my LaserJet and the files I was
creating. Text was typically flowing differently around frames, but line
breaks were also changing. I realized (after switching back and forth
between a targeted Lino 330 and my proofing printer) that the problem
revolved around the printer driver. I switched to a Panther driver and
the composition was back to being identical to my proof copy.

Checking the driver information thru Properties, Paper, About, I
realized that my LaserJet and the Panther driver used the Adobe 4.2.4
driver and the Lino used the older 4.0 driver.

Word of caution: make sure your proofing device uses the same driver as
the targeted imagesetter. I am going to set up a second LaserJet on my
system with the 4.0 driver; occasionally I have to output to older
imagesetters and the 4.0 driver is the only one that will work, for some
reason or another. For more up-to-date stuff, I will use the 4.2.4
driver for both LaserJet and imagesetter.

John Owen Smith

לא נקראה,
16 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0016.10.1998
עד
I read this posting having just sent off an e-mail to another group
warning about much the same thing happening to me with MS Word.
I though somehow that Ventura would be better behaved!
--
John Owen "Jo" Smith
12 Hillside Close, Headley Down, Hampshire, GU35 8BL, UK

Franca Voegelin [C_Tech]

לא נקראה,
16 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0016.10.1998
עד
Hi David!

You are correct in narrowing your text flow problems to the printer
driver. However, to clarify a bit....

The key is to have the ultimate output printer driver (the service
bureau's driver) set as your Default printer in Windows *before* you
load Ventura. It is on loading that Ventura sets what used to be called
the "width table" in version 4.2 and earlier. Then, if you wish to proof
your publication on your laser printer, select it from the printer list
in Ventura's Print Options dialog. Generally your line breaks will not
change when going from a higher resolution printer to a lower one (ie.
lino to laser), but they *will* change from the lower resolution to
higher as is what happened to you when you loaded Ventura and created
your publication with your LaserJet printer set as the Default and then
tried to print it to the Lino 330.

The *version* of the driver (4.2 vs. 4.0 or whatever) is really not that
important when talking about this particular problem, though it may be
for other issues. For example, I have printed publications using Windows
95's version of the Lino 330 driver and then with the AdobePS 4.1 Lino
330 driver and they have been identical in terms of line breaks. Same
with the various versions of the Lino 300 drivers.

Hope this helps!

Jim Hart

לא נקראה,
16 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0016.10.1998
עד
In article <36274477...@elecpub.com>, David Williams wrote:
> occasionally I have to output to older
> imagesetters and the 4.0 driver is the only one that will work, for some
> reason or another. For more up-to-date stuff, I will use the 4.2.4
> driver for both LaserJet and imagesetter.

The older imagesetters are probably Level 1 devices. The Adobe 4.2.x drivers
do not support Level 1. You can use the 4.1 driver but there is a bug in that
driver when using Custom pages. The workaround is to edit the PPD and
redefine the dimensions of a defined page size that you do not use. Being in
the USA, I redefined A4 and A3.

I have observed random spacing problems with all of the 4.2.x drivers and no
longer try to use it on Win95/98 systems. On NT4.0, the AdobePS5 driver is
useless as it will not work at all when ATM/NT is installed (go figure). On
NT, I use the MS/Adobe driver with excellent results.

Since the Corel print engine is writing virtually all of the Postscript when
printing from V8, the added features of the AdobePS drivers are not really
relevant. The Windows95/98 and NT4 PSCRIPT drivers will work just fine if you
can locate a PPD for your printer. Since these drivers require an .INF file
to install a PPD, you may have to hack an INF file but that is really not
difficult.

It is unfortunate that these steps are necessary, but Adobe does not seem to
place a very high priority on making sure their drivers work with any apps
but their own.

-
Jim Hart [C_Tech Volunteer]
please post all replies to this newsgroup

Kim Agrawal

לא נקראה,
17 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0017.10.1998
עד

Jim Hart wrote in message ...

>I have observed random spacing problems with all of the 4.2.x drivers and
no
>longer try to use it on Win95/98 systems.

Jim,

I am currently using V7 with a 4.2.4 driver and have experienced no
problems. I have V8 sitting on the shelf and will switch to it once my
current project is finished.

In view of your statement above (and an earlier post on this newsgroup that
mentioned pair-kerning problems with the 4.2.x driver), which driver do you
recommend I use with V8? Will 4.1 be better? Is it still available on the
Adobe site?

Will the upcoming V8 patch fix this incompatibility with 4.2.x drivers?

TIA for your advice,

Kim

Jim Hart

לא נקראה,
17 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0017.10.1998
עד
In article <7092lg$r5...@cnews.coreus.com>, Kim Agrawal wrote:
> which driver do you recommend I use with V8?

Kim,

As I said in my last message, since the Corel print engine is writing

virtually all of the Postscript when printing from V8, the added features of
the AdobePS drivers are not really relevant. The Windows95/98 and NT4 PSCRIPT
drivers will work just fine if you can locate a PPD for your printer. Since
these drivers require an .INF file to install a PPD, you may have to hack an
INF file but that is really not difficult.

> Will the upcoming V8 patch fix this incompatibility with 4.2.x drivers?

That I don't know. I do know they are working on the print engine but I don't
know what they are doing to it. One would hope they are improving it.<g>

Mateo Sánchez Sánchez

לא נקראה,
17 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0017.10.1998
עד
Yo también he tenido el mismo problema, incluso con WP8, por tanto he vuelto
a la versión 4.2.3 y todo solucionado.

Por favor, los que entiendan castellano, que lo traduzcan, si lo consideran
conveniente, gracias.

Desde Sevilla, España
Mateo Sánchez

Jonathan Berry

לא נקראה,
18 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0018.10.1998
עד
In article <36291BB0...@arrakis.es>,
"Mateo Sánchez Sánchez" <Ma...@arrakis.es> wrote:

" I also have had the same problem, even with WP8, so I returned
to version 4.2.3 and everything is solved."

Please, those who understand Spanish, please translate this if
you consider it worthwhile.

From Sevilla, Spain
Mateo Sanchez "

:Yo también he tenido el mismo problema, incluso con WP8, por tanto he vuelto

:

--
cheers
Jonathan

Klaas Wolterstorff

לא נקראה,
20 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0020.10.1998
עד
If this is how V8 works, wouldn't it make some sense to allow one to select
the ultimate output device and resolution on a document by document basis
rather than leaving us to the whims of what our default printer happens to
be when we open the program? This is essentially what PageMaker does; it
allows you to "compose to printer" when you create a new document, then lets
you choose any proofing device along the way.

What say you, Corel?

Franca Voegelin [C_Tech] wrote in message
<09980916104151...@ix.netcom.com>...

Jim Hart [C_Tech]

לא נקראה,
21 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0021.10.1998
עד
In article <70iel3$5...@cnews.coreus.com>, Klaas Wolterstorff wrote:

Ventura used to use width tables to manage font metrics. Width tables could
be built for specific printers and the stylesheet could be set to use any
widht table. This made for greater flexibility than PageMaker's "compose to
printer" because once the width table was built, the target printer did not
have to be selected or even installed. The metrics for the target printer
would be used for all printers as long as the width table for that printer
was available.

Unfortunately, width tables became confusing for many users who did not
understand their purpose or benefit and Corel sought a different solution.
IMO, they need to keep looking.

Total Plus

לא נקראה,
23 באוק׳ 1998, 3:00:0023.10.1998
עד
Jim Hart [C_Tech] wrote:

> snip

> Unfortunately, width tables became confusing for many users who did not
> understand their purpose or benefit and Corel sought a different solution.
> IMO, they need to keep looking.
>
> -
> Jim Hart [C_Tech Volunteer]
> please post all replies to this newsgroup
I print all Ventura documents large and small to lino 300 driver, to
file. Run through Acrobat 3.0 distiller, print PDF to any laser--lines
of course never rebreak and printing is many times faster, particularly
on documents with leaders!

Ray Lareine

cintya ramirez

לא נקראה,