Ventura 8 und Windows Me (light)

Peter

May 13, 2002, 3:46:58 AM5/13/02
Hello,
I'm in trouble with my Ventura. After upgrading to WIndows Me with 98lite
the program does not start any more. After double click on the icon there
are some hard disk activities but nothing happens and the cursor becomes
normal inactive design. Does anybody know the reason?
The configuration: AMD K6-2 300 MHz, 192 MB RAM, several Hard Disks with about
60 GB free space, Windows Me with 98 lite professional 4.5
Thanks and regards from Blackborn City
Peter

J.T.

May 22, 2002, 5:22:11 AM5/22/02
Hello Peter,

I don't know exactly why Ventura doesn't work anymore, because an upgrading
to another Windows-version should preserve all configurations of the
applications
under it, but you can accomplish some checks:

Check wether the link under the desktopicon still points to the
Ventura-executable:
Rightclick on it, choose Properties, activate the sheet (Quick)link and see
wether
the first box still contains the right path to Ventura (the directory where
it was
installed). If not, change it to the right one and change the second box
("Start path'') too.

If now Ventura still won't start, and you are able to handle the
Windows-registry editor
Regedit, start it and check wether the key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Corel\Corel Ventura" exists. If not it has
gone lost in the process of upgrading to Windows ME (which it should not).
In that
case you have to reinstall Ventura completely.
If it does exist, it is possible that one of the dynamic libraries (DLL's)
in the
Windows system-directory used by Ventura has been overwritten in the process
of upgrading. In this case too you can best reinstall Ventura.

When you reinstall Ventura the changes you made in the configuration of
Ventura
after the first install will be preserved.

Success!

--
Greetings

Jan Turin
Hengelo, The Netherlands

"Peter" <P.St...@Creative-Identity.de> schreef in bericht

Peter

May 26, 2002, 2:31:18 AM5/26/02
Hello Jan,
thanks for your proposals, but they could not help. When Ventura did
not start any more first of all I re-installed the complete Corel 8
package without results. I think it must have something to do with the
registry but all entries are correct. Ventura even does not start when
I click on an VP-file ("missing dll") but in Explorer VP-files are
linked to ventura.exe. Funny is: When I double click on the icon there
are short disk activities, then the (dark) icon returns to normal and
nothing happens. There is no additional active task after the trial.
But you are right: It has nothing to do with Windows Me because with
an other System with identical OS and similiar resources Ventura works
normal. It must be any other part of the OS which blocks the Ventura
start but I have no Idea which one. I even suspected that Microsoft
has a built in function that blocks software from other suppliers
especially from Corel but the effect only appears with one (of three)
systems. When I have much time to waste I will start a re-installation
of the complete Software system.
Have a good time and nice work with your ventura!
Greetings
Peter Steding
Schwarzenborn, Germany

Peter

May 31, 2002, 2:57:48 AM5/31/02
Hi Jan,
I found a solution whether it is not satifactoring: Re-installing of
Windows Me brought my Ventura back. Maybe Register Cleaner or any
other software was the reason. Now it works and I don't know the
reason why.
Have a nice weekend!
Greetings from Blackborn City (Schwarzenborn)
Peter