Xandros 3.0 Beta Program

Chris D

Oct 22, 2004, 5:52:26 PM10/22/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

If interested, go to http://www.xandros.com/ and apply to be a beta tester.

Frank B

Oct 22, 2004, 11:03:02 PM10/22/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

Already signed up last night. :)

Frank.

--
Xandros Desktop 2.0 - Linux for the non-geek.

joell haugan

Oct 23, 2004, 1:00:01 AM10/23/04

Frank B wrote:

> Already signed up last night. :)
>
> Frank.

I'm 0 for 2 so far.. here's hoping! :-)

--
Joell Haugan -
Corel WPOffice/Presentations

Chris D

Oct 23, 2004, 7:54:24 AM10/23/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

Maybe if you let on that you know *anything* about Linux, you don't make
the cut. :-)

Frank B

Oct 23, 2004, 9:52:09 AM10/23/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

>Maybe if you let on that you know *anything* about Linux, you don't
make the cut. :-)<

That is entirely possible. :) This is what attracted me to the distro
to begin with -- I didn't have to know anything about Linux (and didn't
at the time) to be able to use it.

I hope that I make it this time, if for nothing else than that I have a
wide variety of new and older hardware (two recent machines based on
nVidea chipsets, two older ones based on Intel, and a Toshiba laptop),
as well as a lot of USB stuff. No wireless network however.

Now, if I can just get my main machine back from the repair depot....

Leon Goldstein

Oct 24, 2004, 1:00:11 AM10/24/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux
I hope Xandros finally gets rid of "fooze." I will not install a Linux
that insists on writing to other Linuces on the drive and installing its
bootloader over what is already inthe MBR.

--
Leon A. Goldstein

Powered by Libranet 2.8 Debian Linux
System LI

Chris D

Oct 24, 2004, 11:14:35 AM10/24/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

Okay, I'll admit it. My cultural education has some holes in it. What is
"fooze"?

Tim Nett

Oct 24, 2004, 12:54:07 PM10/24/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

Fooze is something that borks lilo. I installed Suse with Xandros
in one box and lilo became 'foozed.' See a paragraph titled
"Surprise" about a third of the way down in

http://www.linuxcertified.com/dual-boot-lindows-redhat.html

Tim

Chris D

Oct 24, 2004, 1:46:25 PM10/24/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

Thanks. I thought maybe it was something that you found covering the
rear part of the bottom shelf of your refrigerator, under the vegetable
crisper bin. :-)

John Iliffe

Oct 24, 2004, 5:56:33 PM10/24/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux
-------------------------------
If you nothing about Linux then god help you with Xandros!

My experience after buying Xandro in October, 2003, was that there is no
response from their help desk no matter how many times you follow up ->
just the automated "you will have a response in 5 business days".
Unless they have days confused with eons you get no value from buying
their distro that you would not get by downloading someone elses.

Anyhow, on my IBM E790 laptop there were so many fleas that I finally
backed off to an old 7.1 version of Red Hat that runs fine ---- and runs
WPO2000 as well as ever.

John

Frank B

Oct 24, 2004, 8:17:30 PM10/24/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

John:

Never had that experience, personally -- not even after the support
period ran out. Support on 1.0 was slow, but 2.0 was quick.

To each his own.

Frank B

Nov 1, 2004, 10:25:44 PM11/1/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

Got my invitation. Now I'll have to decide if I really can commit to
the time and energy that this is going to take....

joell haugan

Nov 1, 2004, 11:58:06 PM11/1/04

Frank B wrote:

> Got my invitation. Now I'll have to decide if I really can commit to
> the time and energy that this is going to take....
>
> Frank.

<Jealous>.... sorta... :-)

Frank B

Nov 2, 2004, 9:37:01 AM11/2/04
to corel.wpoffice.office2000-linux

>sorta... :-) <

Yeah. That is what I am dealing with. Am I happy, or am I just too
tired and overworked to do this justice?