Unexpected General Protection Errors in PDOX8

The Original Gumby D!

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
After years of using PDOX 4.0 (virtually troublefree)...I opted to use
PDOX8.0 for our next generation of "simple" applications. Several people
had told me that Pdox 8.0 was an unstable piece of crap and that I should
go with Access instead.

I decided to attempt the new development on PDOX 8....much to my dismay..I
can do virtually no function without getting the "unexpected general
protection violation" error...or sometimes a "runtime 216" error. I'm
obviously too stupid to use Paradox for Windows...any hints on what could
be causing this?

Sundial Services

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
The Original Gumby D! wrote:

> I decided to attempt the new development on PDOX 8....much to my dismay..I
> can do virtually no function without getting the "unexpected general
> protection violation" error...or sometimes a "runtime 216" error. I'm
> obviously too stupid to use Paradox for Windows...any hints on what could
> be causing this?

"Runtime error 216" is probably an "Access violation." Which is more or
less the same thing as a GPF.

I would first take the usual suspects: reinstall the product cleanly,
check your tables for any errors whatsoever, and call or e-mail Corel
technical support.

"Something environmental" is a likely cause for errors of this sort. I
don't know what in particular. But "it's not Paradox."

The Original Gumby D!

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Thanks for the response....however, in searching usenet...I found that
PARADOX does not like it when you have more than 500 fonts installed on your
machine...so I dropped some fonts...and it works fine now.

Pretty lame that that would be an issue.