Paradox

1 view

Ralf Schlechtweg-Jahn

Apr 18, 2003, 3:22:38 AM4/18/03

I'm using an old Paradox 5.0 for windows under Linux/wine for some years
successfully.

Now I have to upgrade wine for another win-prog, and Paradox isn't working
anymore. One solution was to customize wine (I'm trying) , the other is, to
get an Paradox for Linux.

As far as I know, Corel has made a Paradox for Linux (with wine)? If this
is true, is it possible to get it anywhere?
I'm not looking for something illegal, I want to buy it.

(Well, I must confess, I'm now willing to get it anyway, because I need it
desperately)

--
Tschüß,
Ralf

Mark Knutson

Apr 18, 2003, 10:44:50 AM4/18/03
to corel.linux.corellinux

The only way I know of to get Paradox for Linux is to get the
WordPerfect Office 2000 for Linux. Since Corel no longer sells that the
best place to look for it is eBay.

Leon A. Goldstein

Apr 18, 2003, 6:35:17 PM4/18/03
to corel.linux.corellinux
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/s_tech_net_linuxwp9.html

--
Leon A. Goldstein

Powered by Libranet 2.7 Debian
System LI

Ralf Schlechtweg-Jahn

Apr 19, 2003, 4:13:10 AM4/19/03
Leon A. Goldstein wrote:

> http://www.softwareandstuff.com/s_tech_net_linuxwp9.html

Great, thank you very much!

--
Tschüß,
Ralf

Leon A. Goldstein

Apr 19, 2003, 12:24:33 PM4/19/03
to corel.linux.corellinux
Bitte.  Please post again if you are able to order from this location, i.e. do they ship to overseas addresses,
There may be other people interested.  I know of a list member in Spain who would like a copy too.
--
Leon A. Goldstein

Powered by Libranet 1.9.1 Debian Linux
System 5151

Ralf Schlechtweg-Jahn

Apr 19, 2003, 1:26:45 PM4/19/03
> Bitte. Please post again if you are able to order from this location,
> i.e. do they ship to overseas addresses,

I have ordered now, and received an email-confirmation. Receiving what I
have ordered, I will post again.

--
Tschüß,
Ralf

Leon A. Goldstein

Apr 19, 2003, 6:36:38 PM4/19/03
to corel.linux.corellinux
I suggest you subscribe to the cnew.corel.com  corel.wpoffice  office2000-linux news group.
A review of the post will explain the installation problems and how to deal with them.

--
Leon A. Goldstein

Powered by Libranet 2.7 Debian
System LI

Mark Knutson

Apr 19, 2003, 11:32:08 PM4/19/03
to corel.linux.corellinux

Personally I hope you get it. All the places I looked for it said they
carried it, but when I actually ordered it all but one said it was
discontinued. That one (freeshipping.com) never delivered, and never
responded to e-mails.

Leon A. Goldstein

Apr 20, 2003, 1:41:05 PM4/20/03
to corel.linux.corellinux
According to the UPS tracking number I received, my copy should be delivered tomorrow.
I'll post a report of confirmation, if indeed what I ordered shows up.
You are absolutely correct in being suspicious.  I am too, but decided that gambling $24 ($15 + $9 UPS ground) was justifiable.
Late in February my local Staples office supply sold off their inventory of WPO2K/Linux for $5 a box.  Unfortunately, I missed this
opportunity.

Like Ralf, I am interested in Paradox.  The WP9 included is notoriously unstable and buggy, but from what I've gathered Quattro Pro
and Paradox are not as plagued by so many problems.  I have run Quattro Pro /win successfully under WINE, so I suspect it is more
stable in Linux.  If Paradox was built on the same tools as Quattro (both are Borland products) I might expect it to work as well.
I have not had much luck with MySQL andPostgreSQL so I too am looking for a functional database.

Leon A. Goldstein

Apr 22, 2003, 10:09:37 PM4/22/03
to corel.linux.corellinux
To close this thread: I received my copy of WPO2KL yesterday.  It installed on Libranet 2.7 Debian and Caldera WS 3.1.1 (RPM).
The version I received appears to be a somewhat updated, e.g. critical files like wine have a later date than those of the original version.

--
Leon A. Goldstein

Powered by Libranet 2.7 Debian
System LI

Frank Billington

Apr 23, 2003, 9:53:36 AM4/23/03
to corel.linux.corellinux

You can see if you can still obtain a copy of Word Perfect Office 2000 for
Linux. I got mine on eBay, and I know there are more copies to be had. If
you get the deluxe distribution, Paradox 9.0 is included.

Now, with that said, this is a custom copy of WINE that it runs under. I am
a Linux newbie myself, and I do not know if the copy of WINE with WPO2000
will try to replace what you have recently installed or not.

If you don't have a paypal account for eBay, get one of those first before
you try to shop. They send you your paypal account number on your next
credit card statement, and that can take a month or more depending on your
billing cycle. Otherwise, you can make a bid, but not be able to pay for it
online, and that makes both you and the seller wait.

Frank.

Leon A. Goldstein

Apr 23, 2003, 1:29:22 PM4/23/03
to corel.linux.corellinux
I believe, since I only have a vague memory of this, that WPO2KL originally came out in two versions: standard and deluxe.
The version I received from the source cited
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/s_tech_net_linuxwp9.html
has no marking on the box specifying that it is "standard" or "deluxe" but does
most definitely include Paradox.

Also, the date of the wine package is 05/02/00.  According to an owner of the original WPO2KL package, the date of his wine is 03/13/00.
So, all I can tell is that the source I ordered from shipped a later version.   I would suggest that anyone buying from e-bay determine
which version he is getting before purchasing.

The later version has other evidence of improvement.  The wpolauncher script has been changed, i.e. you no longer need to follow the Corel FAQ to remove /all from the script.  Also, I did not need to use any of the additional install scripts or other patches to install on a RPM distro.
The installer has already been simplified, too much unfortunately. It only offers to install everything, or a light installation (WP9 and Quattro Pro).

I also note that WP9 will work with on the go proofing enabled.  I typed the Gettysburg Address in German with it last night, and even though almost every word was underlined, it did not crash.

I experimented with the CVS wine version on my Libranet 2.8 beta install, but found it made no improvement.  In fact, WPO2KL ran worse with it.
However, I should point out here that there is an apparent bug related to X 4.3.  WP9 will crash if you open a second document.  This happens under Gnome and Xfce as well, so it is not a KDE issue.

With Caldera WS 3.1.1 I get some error reports, but can click through these to start the apps.  I also tried the CVS wine but gave this up, since the wine RPM had a dependency  ( libXxf86dga) which in turn had an avalanche of other dependencies, i.e. a typical "RPM hell."

Having read the Corel website FAQ's and this list, I anticipated numerous problems and tweaks, but I am pleasantly surprised at how well
WPO2KL runs.  I  installed it on an AMD K6-2 350 mHz system, and it still runs acceptably, although I do have 256 mb of RAM on that system.
When WPO2KL is running, there is only about 7 mb of free memory.

--
Leon A. Goldstein

Powered by Libranet 1.9.1 Debian Linux
System 5151

Rick Moen

May 17, 2003, 11:47:09 PM5/17/03
to corel.linux.corellinux

Leon A. Goldstein <meta...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I experimented with the CVS wine version on my Libranet 2.8 beta
> install, but found it made no improvement. In fact, WPO2KL ran worse
> with it.

That's probably because WINE and Corelwine diverged. The Corelwine fork
is still maintained (for now) by Michael Torrie:
http://students.cs.byu.edu/~torriem/

Also probably useful:
http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/corel-wp9.txt
http://members.chello.at/hrdisk/corelwine.html

--
Cheers, I've been suffering death by PowerPoint, recently.
Rick Moen -- Huw Davies

Leon A. Goldstein

May 18, 2003, 6:51:47 PM5/18/03
to corel.linux.corellinux
The CVS has, from what I've gathered, helped solve problems with the original WPO2KL.
The copy I got is a later build.  Installing PhotoPaint 9 after WPO2KL also updates the WINE.
However, there is some trickery involved in adding PhotoPaint9.  There will be two directories in
the /usr/lib/corel path: Shared and shared.  After installing PP9, the Shared directory is added,
and this disables spellchecker/thesaurus in WP9.  The fix is to rename Shared to XShared, or just delete it
(although I don't know what this will do to the package database).  Thanks to Erik Wessman for solving
this glitch.
--
Leon A. Goldstein