booklet to pdf

1 view

Alan Gilholm

Nov 25, 2004, 12:37:50 PM11/25/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I can't get a publication set to
booklet to export to pdf as an imposed file - 2 A5s on a landscape A4. All I
get are single pages in Acrobat. Any suggestions appreciated.

AlanG

Paul McGee

Nov 25, 2004, 1:45:20 PM11/25/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

Imposition is not implemented for publish to PDF.

PRiunt to a Postscript file which will give you the impostion dialogue
as expected in Ventura, and, if wealthy, Distill it (Adobe $$$), or if
impoverished like most of us, use the free Ghostscript to create the PDF.

Rainer Strehlow

Nov 25, 2004, 2:01:17 PM11/25/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

"Alan Gilholm" <alan_g...@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Hi Alan

first: the booklet tool is an option during installation. If you unchecked
that during installation it probably would not work.

O.K., let's assume you installed it:

- Publication/Publication Properties/General/Layout: Booklet
- Page/Properties/Layout/Page size: A4 Landscape

If I am not mistaken, that should do.

Good luck

Rainer

Alan Gilholm

Nov 25, 2004, 3:24:56 PM11/25/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

Hi Rainer,

That was the setup I used! No go as far as I can see, and I've tried all
the different settings in VP10's pdf export. Sadly, Serif's PagePlus 9
(and now 10), will do exactly what I want and even has an imposition
option in its pdf dialogue! Ho-hum.

Many thanks for the prompt response,

Alan

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:01:17 +0100, Rainer Strehlow
<thisa...@doesnot.exist> wrote:

> "Alan Gilholm" <alan_g...@yahoo.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I can't get a publication
>> set

>> booklet to export to pdf as an imposed file - 2 A5s on a landscape A4..

>> All
>> get are single pages in Acrobat. Any suggestions appreciated.
>>

> Hi Alan
>
> first: the booklet tool is an option during installation. If you
> unchecked
> that during installation it probably would not work.
>
> O.K., let's assume you installed it:
>
> - Publication/Publication Properties/General/Layout: Booklet
> - Page/Properties/Layout/Page size: A4 Landscape
>
> If I am not mistaken, that should do.
>
> Good luck
>
> Rainer

Alan Gilholm

Nov 25, 2004, 3:27:30 PM11/25/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the prompt response. I think you're right. Sadly, as I've noted
elsewhere, Serif's PagePlus does have an impostion option in its pdf
dialogue. It makes you wonder about the meaning of professional publishing!

Regards, Alan

Allan Shearer

Nov 25, 2004, 4:05:08 PM11/25/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

I don't know that I'd conclude that 'professional publishing' requires full
and complete direct-to-PDF publishing. This is something relatively new for
applications to be able to produce their own PDFs without needing Adobe
Distiller. Ventura 10 does a very good job at producing it's own PDFs
without the aid/need of Distiller ... however, one should not be surprised
if not all features are supported, since this was the first time that
Ventura has had this ability.

As for me and my publishing household ... we will use Distiller.

Allan

"Alan Gilholm" <in...@glengraphics.co.uk> wrote in message

Alan Gilholm

Nov 25, 2004, 4:57:53 PM11/25/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

Hi Allan,

I take your point, but how often in postings to newsgroups and in magazine
articles/reviews do we read something to the effect 'it doesn't matter if
your printshop doesn't have Corel XX as long as you can produce pdf files,
and why promote pdf compatability as a 'must have' new feature? So far
there's not a lot I can do with VP10 that I couldn't do with VP8
+ Distiller.

AlanG

Jim Hart

Nov 25, 2004, 10:26:33 PM11/25/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

In article <opsh1jardbl0fb8q@tower>, in...@glengraphics.co.uk says...

> why promote pdf compatability as a 'must have' new feature?

Got to promote something to get sales and as you note, there isn't a
whole lot more that is new.

--

Jim Hart
www.microtecniqs.com

Ventura FAQ available at:
http://www.draw.nu/venturafaq/

Allan Shearer

Nov 25, 2004, 11:04:50 PM11/25/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

Indeed, the majority (well ... with the exception of at least ONE service
bureau - right Mac?!) don't take native Ventura files ... so the best/safest
route is to send a PDF. Some have actually done this using V10's built-in
'Publish to PDF' functionality - namely, Bob van Duuren (are you still,
Bob?) whilst others swear by Jaws, and others Acrobat. Me? I prefer
Acrobat. But, I say, "Use what works for you and what gives you the BEST
results at the service bureau."

.... or ... just send all your stuff to Mac Townsend and he'll print it in
native format! :) (a little plug for my California-friend <g>)

Allan

"Alan Gilholm" <in...@glengraphics.co.uk> wrote in message

Bob van Duuren

Nov 26, 2004, 3:57:58 AM11/26/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

> (are you still, Bob?)

Actually, I have never. I always use Acrobat...

B.

--
Bob van Duuren
Van Duuren Media Informaticaboeken

"Allan Shearer" <allanATsh...@cnews1.corel.dmz> schreef in bericht

Rainer Strehlow

Nov 26, 2004, 6:42:33 AM11/26/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

Hi Alan

I do not use the direct PDF-export of Corel. As I still use CVP 8 in the
office and the tests I made with CorelDraw 10 showed that the Distiller
produces more compact files, I produce PDF with Acrobat Distiller 5.0 only.

This way I produce PDF-booklets, A4-pages double-sided with mirrored page
layout on A3-sheets, every day. The largest booklet so far consisted of 72
pages and more than 10 chapters.

So that works fine for me.

Best regards

Rainer

Gabor Deak Jahn

Nov 26, 2004, 8:21:58 AM11/26/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:24:56 -0000, "Alan Gilholm"
<in...@glengraphics.co.uk> wrote:

Alan,

PDF is primarily for CTP. There are many newer filmsetters that
understand PDF directly but they still accept PS so there is no real
advantage in sending them PDF (PDF is more compact because of the
internal compression but you can compress a PS to a very large
extent).

CTP systems, on the other hand, are predominantly PDF, even if you
give them PS, they have to convert it to PDF anyway. Also, they expect
composite instead of separated. And, at least those systems I know,
CTP never wants impositioned files, they do it for themselves.

So, in a way, it is logical not the bother with imposition settings in
PDF export (although I don't think that was the reasoning behind
omitting them, it was probably simpler and easier this way).

Bye,
Gabor

Gabor DEAK JAHN
Hungarian CVP Forum
www.tramontana.co.hu/ventura
(English entries at the bottom of the side menu)

Alan Gilholm

Nov 27, 2004, 6:07:45 AM11/27/04
to corel.graphic_apps.ventura10

Thanks Rainer, and everyone else for their comments and advice.

I think I'll go for the full Acrobat package - I suppose everyone has to
do a little Adobe sometime!

Alan