Questions about Painter

1 view

on_the_m...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2006, 2:59:59 AM7/29/06
I am thinking about buying painter IX and the intuos3 9x12 Wacom tablet
- I do not have any experience with either package. Also I am disabled
(neuro) and I am wanting to see how easy this package is to use - same
with the graphics tablet. I am intelligent but I get confused easily
and I get distracted easily - so I am wanting to make sure I'm going to
be getting something that I will be able to do and not get too
frustrated. Please let me know

Goddessofchaos

Jul 30, 2006, 6:12:27 AM7/30/06
I've been using painter since 1994, and still use Painter 2.

It depends on your motor skills. Painter is very easy to use and quite
intuitive. My only concern is that if you have fine motor skill
disability, you may find it hard to select the brush you want.

Other than that, its a totally trippin program with amazing capability.
It's easy to get distracted trying out the brushes, but the drop down
menu is only there for as long as you need to select it, then it
vanishes. the workspace can be as clean or as overfilled as you care
to make it, since you can hide all the windows you are using by hitting
the "tab" key.

Painter is really a phenomenal program. I've used it a lot. It's
definitely my favorite paint program -- its far superior to photoshop
for digital painting.

check out a screen shot of it at Corel. I think you can download a
fully functional free trial from them. That way you could really see
if it is what you are looking for in a paint program.

best wishes

DJofTexas

Goddessofchaos

Jul 30, 2006, 6:15:06 AM7/30/06
btw, I have painter 9.5 and love it. I've been using a Wacom tablet
for 12 or 14 years now. Definitely get one. They are the best on the
market.

gregfarr

Aug 26, 2006, 10:11:41 AM8/26/06

You didn't say, do you have any digi paint experience, as if not, you
don't need painter or Intuos, psp and a Graphire would do. I worked my
way up over ten yrs and now can use painter, but still use psp too as
it's better for editing, and normal painting. PSP 8 witch is a few yrs
old now does just about anything one would want, except the fancy
textured impasto work that Painting has. He's right about your hand
eye skill, as any good digi painting, takes a lot of good skills.

Greg
http://gregsplace.50megs.com
http://www.picturetrail.com/fugitive1