CMX vs. CDR Save

P Johnson

May 29, 2001, 9:27:27 AM5/29/01
Can someone explain why and when one should save files in the cmx versus cr
format. I see the cmx format listed quite often in this NG and, quite
honestly have never used it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Pete

P Johnson

May 29, 2001, 9:29:38 AM5/29/01
Sorry for the typo: cmx versus cdr format.

"P Johnson" <mybass...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Can someone explain why and when one should save files in the cmx versus

cdr

Paul

May 29, 2001, 12:21:26 PM5/29/01
Hi Pete,

try saving a document that has layers and pages as a CDR and then as a CMX.
When you re-import the CDR it gets 'flattened' the CMX doesn't. Why it
should be that way round, though, is anybody's guess. Still, I find it
useful now and again.

BTW my brother is Peter Johnson too so I've been dying to reply to you on
this NG : )

All the best,

Paul

P Johnson <mybass...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Graeme Standage

May 29, 2001, 3:41:24 PM5/29/01
On Tue, 29 May 2001 17:21:26 +0100, "Paul"
<paulj...@remove.this.bit.bigfoot.com> wrote:

>..<

Also CMX strips out the graphics and text styles associated with the
CDR it is saved from.

As the graphics and text styles have been known to cause opening
'problems' with previous versions, sometimes it is wise to save a
back-up copy of the final CDR in CMX format as well when it really is
that extra important file that you may not have a set of 'progressive'
CDR's saved.
I'm not saying the styles 'corruption' is common, but you know how it
is - bound to happen when least required.

With CDR's I tend to strip out all but the default graphic and text
styles or 'drop in' a *default* template before saving CDR's if any
stray styles have entered.

--
Graeme

Peter Argyropoulos

May 30, 2001, 1:38:07 AM5/30/01
Thank you, thank you thank you!

This is very good to know. Just last night I tried opening some cdr's to
help a friend of mine with a project. He brought the files over, we
copied them o my disk, he left, and I couldn't open anything up! Finally
I was able to import the important ones, and it turned out that his
styles from the last 4 or 5 years of work are saved with the files. One
problem is that we have different language versions, the other is that
his files acted as though fonts were somehow embedded. (They showed up
in my fonts list with an asterisk next to them.)

I suspected a styles issue and tried to delete any or all of the styles
( a few hundred!!!) which ended up crashing my computer.

My question is this: Can I save these files as cmx on my computer to get
rid of the styles or does he need to do it on his? Some of the text was
listed as being in these "nonexisting" fonts which I suspect was causing
the import and opening filter error messages.

Peter

Graeme Standage

May 30, 2001, 5:29:18 AM5/30/01
On Wed, 30 May 2001 07:38:07 +0200, Peter Argyropoulos
<pe...@safenet.pl> wrote:

>My question is this: Can I save these files as cmx on my computer to get
>rid of the styles or does he need to do it on his? Some of the text was
>listed as being in these "nonexisting" fonts which I suspect was causing
>the import and opening filter error messages.

You can save as CMX on yours or his, but when they are opened again
they will open automatically as CDR, styles may be added back in
depending on what styles are around in the default template.

I'd suggest creating a blank page CDR with default Graphic and text
styles, save this as a .CDT file in the templates folder. With one of
the 'laden' CDR files open click on the little right hand pointing
arrow in the docker graphic and text styles docker and select
'template' then 'load'. Load the template that you have made and just
save the CDR file. This will now have got rid of the excess styles
etc. Also, I'd save the template so that it is the default new one
when creating a fresh CDR file. Note that when you import or
copy/paste from one CDR to another the styles etc. travel with the
object. This is another reason so many files get bloated.

It can be amusing. For instance, I've sent files out to factories 'the
other side of the world' - 4 years later I've received CDR files from
'competitive' factories and in the 'graphic and text styles' are a
couple of mine from the old file!!
I sometimes get files with foreign language styles mixed up in them,
the fact that these are there does not seem to cause any specific
opening 'issues'.

Not saying for a fact that your specific problems are related too
styles, but it does seem that way. Sometimes opening files across
different versions and revisions can be problematic if Corels in-built
file compression was used as well, but as they are importing this is
prolly not the case for you and it is not a widespread issue.

--
Graeme

Gina Grone

May 30, 2001, 11:59:22 AM5/30/01
Just something I learned that has saved my hide once or twice: Every once in
a while, Draw 9 will go goofy on me, telling me it can't save the file I'm
working on and it can't make a backup... If I do save as and make it a cmx
file, it saves it without a problem and I still have a working file.

Maybe this is elementary and it's already been mentioned... but I thought
I'd post it anyway.

-- Gina

Hey You

May 31, 2001, 6:17:44 PM5/31/01
Hey all,

I too have a question.

I would like to import several layers of a vector image into PP to create a
"weathered" look to the drawing. The problem is I cannot convert it to a
bitmap and keep the sharpness that I need to save the detail. In reading
the other posts it seems that it is possible to "import" a .cmx file which
preserves the layers of the origional file. I have tried this and cannot
figure out how to preserve the layers. It works going back to draw, but not
into paint. Did I just assume that the layers are preserved for other
aplications when they are not, or am I just missing the big flashing sign
that says " here it is dummy ".

Just wondering

Duane

Graeme Standage

May 30, 2001, 7:21:23 PM5/30/01
On Wed, 30 May 2001 10:59:22 -0500, "Gina Grone"
<gina...@reinke.com> wrote:

> If I do save as and make it a cmx
>file, it saves it without a problem and I still have a working file.<

99.9% chance then that the original problem is buried in your graphic
and text styles.
If a file hangs and refuses to open when at 69% this may also
indicate something has gone a miss in the graphic and text styles.

When saving a file I believe the back up gets written when at 69% and
/or as well as graphic and text styles getting finalised in the
current file. If it refuses to save at this stage it is either a case
of not enough memory left or graphic and text styles going haywire.
This showed up on the odd occasion when I've had the relevent roll up
open and doing a save as. The file stopped at 69% and at the same time
the styles etc. vacated the open window <g>

--
Graeme

Graeme Standage

May 30, 2001, 7:21:24 PM5/30/01

You can't export/save out of Draw in one file to retain layers in PP.
The only way is to save/export each draw 'layer' individually and
bring them in one at a time to a master bitmap file in PP. (I tend to
export from draw each element/layer as hi-res bitmap to bring into PP)

--
Graeme

P Johnson

May 30, 2001, 11:31:37 AM5/30/01
If only I had a sister named Mary, we'd be all set. Hee.

<BTW my brother is Peter Johnson too so I've been dying to reply to you on
> this NG :

All the best,

"Paul" <paulj...@remove.this.bit.bigfoot.com> wrote in message