Custom paper size

1 view

Michael Johnston

Nov 22, 2004, 9:35:46 AM11/22/04
to corel.graphic_apps.cdgs11-draw

I haven't done this since around version 8 and I've totally forgotten.

I've got a custom document size, 25"x9.5. The physical paper is this
size. I've got the imposition settings to print 2 pages per signature.
That's all fine.

The sheet sizes on the printer drop-down are all standard, and 25x9.5
isn't there. I need to get the real paper size in there so I can choose
it, and then everything would be OK.

The Knowledge Base doesn't seem to cover this, so I guess I'm missing
some pretty obvious. Ideas, please?

Cheers!
Michael

Graeme Standage

Nov 22, 2004, 11:33:55 AM11/22/04
to corel.graphic_apps.cdgs11-draw

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:35:46 -0500, Michael Johnston
<michael.n...@rasberryagency.com> wrote:

>I haven't done this since around version 8 and I've totally forgotten.
>
>I've got a custom document size, 25"x9.5. The physical paper is this

>size. ........

>The sheet sizes on the printer drop-down are all standard, and 25x9.5
>isn't there. I need to get the real paper size in there so I can choose
>it, and then everything would be OK.<

This is not a corel 'thing' but your printer driver/PPD.
If a postcsript printer/driver there is usually an option for where
you can type in your own 'custom' paper size.

--
Graeme

{Please reply to newsgroup}

Michael Johnston

Nov 22, 2004, 11:28:06 AM11/22/04
to corel.graphic_apps.cdgs11-draw

> This is not a corel 'thing' but your printer driver/PPD. If a
> postcsript printer/driver there is usually an option for where you
> can type in your own 'custom' paper size.

Thanks for the reply, Graeme. It's not a PS printer; it's an HP deskjet.
And I've looked there and can find nothing that would allow this. It
seems to me that this is how I used to do it.

Cheers!
Michael

Debby Abrahams

Nov 22, 2004, 2:59:12 PM11/22/04
to corel.graphic_apps.cdgs11-draw

I think custom paper sizes only apply to postscript printers. If not, then
your printer driver stills needs the option before you can customize the
paper soze.

HTH
Debby

"Michael Johnston" <michael.n...@rasberryagency.com> wrote in message

Lola MacLean

Nov 22, 2004, 3:30:25 PM11/22/04
to corel.graphic_apps.cdgs11-draw

Michael,

Did you perhaps use a "Banner" setting when you did it in the past? Both of
the HP A3 Deskjets I have used (1120C and Cp1700--neither of them Post
Script) offered "Custom" or "User Defined" choices, but doubt if they would
have accepted the 25 inch length as were supposed to be limited to about 13
by 19 on sheets. Not sure if you have width choices on banners as never
printed one, but that might be one way to get around the length limit.

One other thought--if you are using an older HP printer (like the 1120) on
Windows XP, your "Custom" settings may have disappeared. (HP didn't support
those with new drivers so have to use the XP one and a lot of features are
lost. Can't recall whether that was one of them.) You might try presenting
the problem in a printing Newsgroup like comp.periphs.printers or on the HP
Deskjet forum. I think (hope) this link will take you there:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=415

Lola MacLean

Michael Johnston

Nov 22, 2004, 3:52:51 PM11/22/04
to corel.graphic_apps.cdgs11-draw

Lola,

Actually, the real point I'm after is what it looks like in Print
Preview. I have my 25x9.5 document being shown (imposition) in a Letter
size background. I could change the paper size to a larger size, like
Tabloid, but that's still not right. And, you're right, the printer I'm
using for this particular project is the 1120C!

Cheers!
Michael

Lola MacLean

Nov 23, 2004, 2:27:09 AM11/23/04
to corel.graphic_apps.cdgs11-draw

>Actually, the real point I'm after is what it looks like in Print Preview

Can't help you there. My 1120C is stashed away in my son's basement. I never
used Print Preview anyway--find that if I have same paper size/orientation
in printer and in Corel, my page will print exactly as it appears in Corel.
(That's assuming I allow for the printer's margin limits--considerable on
the bottom for the 1120 as I recall.) I'm pretty sure your problem is with
the printer driver rather than Corel, though.

I loved that printer. It tended to skew a bit, but had great plain paper
output--even on posterboard and uncoated watercolor papers. Unfortunately,
the XP driver rendered it pretty much useless for me and HP never released
one for it. I tried the Win 2000 and the 1220 drivers but never had good
output with those either, so I switched to Epson and Canon. Hope the HP
forum can help you.

Lola MacLean

Michael Johnston

Nov 23, 2004, 11:34:24 AM11/23/04

Lola MacLean wrote:
> I loved that printer. It tended to skew a bit, but had great plain paper
> output--even on posterboard and uncoated watercolor papers. Unfortunately,
> the XP driver rendered it pretty much useless for me and HP never released
> one for it. I tried the Win 2000 and the 1220 drivers but never had good
> output with those either, so I switched to Epson and Canon. Hope the HP
> forum can help you.

We are alike! I've just d/l the 1220 drivers and thought I'd try that,
but hearing your experience I've giving it the proverbial second
thought. I just came from the HP forum and it's littered with 1120C/XP
complaints. I guess HP's just deaf on this one. I've bought HP printers
for our entire company to try to stay standardized, but after this, I'll
look at Epson and Canon too.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Cheers!
Michael

Lola MacLean

Nov 23, 2004, 8:43:35 PM11/23/04
to corel.graphic_apps.cdgs11-draw

Yes, indeed. This is getting off-topic for Corel, so I sent a response to
your e-mail addy. Hopefully, it's valid so you'll get it.
Lola MacLean