CPRA SHARES: Proposed Changes to Trinity-Spadina Riding Boundary | Oct 1 Deadline to Take Action

Cristina Juarez Nilsson

Sep 30, 2012, 9:05:09 PM9/30/12
to cora-t...@googlegroups.com

--- On Thu, 9/27/12, Angela Surdi <asu...@toronto.ca> wrote:

From: Angela Surdi <asu...@toronto.ca>
Subject: Proposed Changes to Trinity-Spadina Riding Boundary
Date: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 4:23 PM

Hello Everyone,
I hope you are all well and enjoying the lovely crisp fall days. I apologize in advance as I will be sending you a few emails over the next while relating to items coming up that you and members of your group may want to consider.  Kindly circulate amongst your memberships or distribution list.

Having your say on Proposed changes to Trinity-Spadina and other riding boundaries

October 1 is the last day to sign up to be heard on this

As you've likely heard, there are proposed boundary changes to a number of electoral districts in Toronto including both Trinity-Spadina and Davenport. The current proposal would remove communities north of Bloor, such as Christie-Ossington, from Trinity-Spadina and place them in the riding of St Paul's. Councillor Layton believes the railway tracks north of Dupont should remain the division since that is a natural boundary. Our community should not be divided.

October 1 is the last day to sign up to be heard on this

The proposed boundaries are not final. There is a Federal Electoral Boundaries Commission for Ontario holding a series of hearings across the province to gather public opinion. They will then submit a report to the House of Commons, where a committee will study their findings and MPs will provide feedback. The final decision on the new boundaries will take effect in time for 2015. Our office is not year clear on how this will impact our ward boundaries, but generally our wards re-align to match the riding.

Toronto hearings are taking place:

Toronto, North York Civic Centre
5100 Yonge Street
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
(You must sign up by October 1)
10:00 a.m.
Toronto, Metro Hall
55 John Street
Thursday, November 15, 2012
(You must sign up by October 1)
11:30 a.m.

If you wish to make a presentation at a hearing or submit a comment, you should inform the commission in writing as soon as possible but no later than October 1, 2012.

Your notice of presentation should include:
  • your name, address and contact information
  • the organization you represent (if any)
  • the date of the public hearing that you wish to attend
  • a short overview of the issues you intend to address
  • your official language of preference, and
  • any accommodation needs you may have
Your written notice can be sent to the Commission Secretary at ont...@rfed-rcf.ca or you can fill out this form online:

The commission aims to draw boundaries so that the population numbers in the electoral districts are reasonably similar while meeting the needs and interests of communities, identities, historical patterns and geographic size. You can find out more online here: www.federal-redistribution.ca

Consider signing up as an individual or as a representative of a community group or small business.

If you require any further information, please feel free to contact our office any time.

Kind regards,

Angela Surdi
Constituency Assistant
Councillor Mike Layton