Christie Pits Residents' Association (CPRA) - New Safety Subcommittee meets Wed, Oct 24

Cristina Juarez Nilsson

Oct 22, 2012, 10:12:40 PM10/22/12
to cora-t...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to all who came out to last week's CPRA meeting - 45+ people from residents, local businesses, 14 Division, media, and Mike Layton - joined us as we focused on the topic of community safety.

CPRA has formed a Safety Sub Committee

and will meet this Wednesday, October 24 @ 7:30PM at the Bob Abate Centre to discuss next steps for us.

While today's media release on an arrest is a relief, CPRA with its partners will continue to focus on community safety opportunities and challenges, and proactively lead the shared vision for this great community.

Any volunteers interested to participate actively with CPRA or our new Safety Subcommittee, please join us on Wednesday or feel free to contact us directly at: in...@christiepits.com

Toronto Police Services - Media Release

Young Offender faces 16 charges in sexual assault investigation,

Bloor Street West/Christie Street area

Broadcast time: 10:10

Monday, October 22, 2012

14 Division

416-808-7474

The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in a series of

sexual assaults in the Bloor Street West/Christie Street area.

Between Thursday, August 16, 2012 and Saturday, October 20, 2012, numerous sexual

assaults have been reported.

It is alleged that:

- the sexual assaults occurred in the geographical area bounded by Barton Avenue to the

north, Ossington Avenue to the west, Palmerston Avenue to the east, and College Street to

the south

- the accused approached women from behind, sexually assaulted them, then fled the scene

It is further alleged that:

- on Saturday, October 20, 2012, at approximately 11 p.m., a woman was walking in the

Roxton Road/Bloor Street West area

- the accused approached the woman from behind, sexually assaulted her, and was arrested

by police at the scene

A 15-year-old male youth has been charged with:

1. 14 counts of Sexual Assault

2. two counts of Criminal Harassment

ID: 24794 1 / 2

He was scheduled to appear in court at 311 Jarvis Street on Monday, October 22, 2012, room

1, 10 a.m.

The name of the accused cannot be released under the provisions of the Youth Criminal

Justice Act.

The investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7474, Crime Stoppers

anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your

message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free Crime

Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.

Constable Wendy Drummond, Corporate Communications, for Staff Inspector Mary Lee

Metcalfe, Sex Crimes Unit

CPRA - Christie Pits Residents' Association - a community organization open to all residents and local businesses in our neighbourhood, aiming to build community, encourage civic engagement and maintain and improve the quality of life for all residents.

Connect with us! http://www.facebook.com/christiepitswww.christiepits.ca