CPRA SHARES: Neighbourhood Safety Audit - Mon, Sept 10 @ 7pm

Cristina Juarez Nilsson

Sep 9, 2012, 6:19:43 PM9/9/12
to cora-t...@googlegroups.com
Join in sharing your views on how to make our neighbourhood safe....

From Mike Layon's office:

This Monday at 7pm community members will be meeting in the south east corner of Christie Pits Park to conduct a safety audit with METRAC in response to recent sexual assaults. Please come out and help us survey the neighbourhood.
Meet at the south east corner of Christie Pits Park at 7pm on Monday September 10.

**During the walk we will also be putting up posters for the September 15 Take Back the Night**

I have connected with METRAC, a community-based, not-for-profit organization based in Toronto that works to prevent and eliminate violence against diverse women and youth, to conduct a Community Safety Audit of the Christie Pits neighbourhood. This is in response to the recent sexual assaults.

Please join us on this audit and help to survey the neighbourhood. The Community Safety Audit creates an opportunity for women and other individuals to share their experiences; helps people talk about their concerns and ideas for reducing violence; and considers how violence affects people based on their identities.

METRAC’s Community Safety Audit is a tool to help people assess the safety of spaces they use. It has been utilized to assess neighbourhoods, housing units, apartment buildings, parks, parking lots and garages. It is based on perspectives of people who live, work and play in an area and on the fact that they are safety experts of the area. It recognizes that women and other vulnerable groups most often feel unsafe and it helps people to come up with safety-enhancing ideas.

METRAC collects the safety audit results and creates a Neighbourhood Safety Report Card based on the findings, which includes information on follow-up and action. From this, I hope to work with you to make real changes in the neighbourhood to improve safety.