Adding text-expanding functions

Wax Wood

Mar 11, 2022, 4:17:49 PM3/11/22
to CopyQ

Hi,

First, thank you for producing this excellent application.

CopyQ is an outstanding tool that I have used for years at home on my Linux computers, and now at work as well. I recently completed paperwork to ask our provincial IT department evaluate CopyQ, run security audits, and include it on our provincial government list of approved software. It has now been approved and is available to a very large base of provincial employees.

Please consider expanding CopyQ to include features so that it could be used as a text expander application similar to BeefText (an open source expander for Windows only). For years, I relied on PhraseExpress (proprietary), but when I switched to Linux, had to seek different solution. There appears to be considerable demand for text-expanders in Linux, but the only serious option is AutoKey which is quite limited and buggy. Autokey is not cross-platform.  Is there not a relatively easy way to expand hot-key to transform CopyQ into a full-fledged text expander tool?  E.G. If the use types  “SDG” followed by CTRL, then CopyQ will insert “United Nations Sustainable Development Goals” at the location of the cursor.

With this feature, CopyQ will become the best open-source, cross-platform clipboard manager and text expansion tool available.