Hello, and a question

Jonathan Morgan

Apr 13, 2011, 4:14:26 PM4/13/11
to CoPress
Hello,

First, my name is Jon Morgan, and I am a programmer/PhD student/
journalist at Michigan State University. Glad to have the chance to
interact with you all!

I am starting up a wordpress network at MSU, and I am having a problem
that Daniel Bachhuber suggested I throw out to you all: Some of the
users in my wordpress blog are getting their posts truncated at around
200 characters, and I am having trouble figuring out why. Daniel said
he remembers this coming up on this forum before, said he remembered
it being a server configuration issue, and said that you all might be
able to relatively efficiently point me toward a solution. Does this
ring a bell for anyone?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon Morgan

Albert Sun

Apr 13, 2011, 4:22:46 PM4/13/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com, Jonathan Morgan
I think what this was, was a problem with the security filters that check for SQL injection and XSS being too strict and filtering out things that are harmless. Does it only affect users that don't have full admin permissions? If you're using a plug-in for fine grained permissions, perhaps try granting people more permissions to post html. The filtering rules were in the kses.php file iirc.

Just did a quick search of my email archive but still can't recall exactly how this was fixed before.

http://www.copress.org/

--
Albert Sun
alb...@albertsun.info

Lauren Rabaino

Apr 13, 2011, 4:35:45 PM4/13/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com, Albert Sun, Jonathan Morgan
I remember being directed to this post from Miles http://www.copress.org/wiki/Server_Tricks when the Mustang Daily had a similar issue in its early days. Anyone remember what used to be on that wiki page? :P

Miles Skorpen

Apr 13, 2011, 5:38:38 PM4/13/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com, cop...@googlegroups.com, Albert Sun, Jonathan Morgan
Will write more later, but the issue was the server's security settings, not WP. Do you have root access?

--
Sent from a mobile device.
Please forgive spelling errors.

Daniel Bachhuber

Apr 13, 2011, 5:42:02 PM4/13/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com
Miles for the win. This is why I had Jonathan write to the Google Group :) I remember running into the problem previously but couldn't remember what specifically it was or what the resolution was

Jonathan Morgan

Apr 13, 2011, 6:55:06 PM4/13/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Bachhuber
I don't have root, but it is a university server, and the guy who manages it for us is top-notch, very helpful, so I bet he can turn it around quickly if you can get me details.  Thanks for getting back to me!

Jon
"The man with the new idea is a Crank until the idea succeeds."
- Mark Twain, from 'Following the Equator: A Journey Around the World'

Miles Skorpen

Apr 13, 2011, 7:06:02 PM4/13/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com, Jonathan Morgan, Daniel Bachhuber
I can't find notes on exactly what I did. But basically, somewhere in your apache or server security files, there is something that is filtering out some pretty generic text--you need to find the filter, remove it, then restart Apache. To find the offending filter, check your apache server logs right after trying to post something. It should reference the failed attempt and tell you the rule number, and from there you can hunt down the offending rule.

Hopefully the University admin can make sense of these rather vague suggestions.

Best,

Miles