Job Posting: Digital Media/Journalism Professor

Chris Keller

Mar 1, 2011, 10:05:20 AM3/1/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com
Following Dan’s job-post e-mail earlier in the week — tis the season, I suppose.

We (Cameron University) just opened a position in our Journalism program. We are working on degree program changes now and converging our Radio/Television and Print journalism concentrations into one degree: Journalism and Digital Media. We are looking for someone well-versed in both the software and theoretical/philosophical aspects of new media integration and traditional journalism.

My colleague that retired taught courses in Photoshop (with a journalism focus), Media Graphics, Media History and Media Literacy. I am the faculty adviser to our student newspaper and to AggieCentral.com (and also teach all of our courses in writing, editing, law and anything else that needs teaching, really). I would love to have somebody in the department that had the skills/knowledge to help us build on what we’ve started with our digital journalism efforts.

The advertisement, which I will post below, should hit the Chronicle and the AEJMC boards later this week. I just wanted to throw this out to my fellow CoPressers in case any of you were finishing up doc programs, or had degree in hand and wanted to try out academia in the heartland.

The formal post is below (from the bottom of the page http://www.cameron.edu/personnel).

Cheers,

Christopher

Christopher O. Keller, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Journalism
Faculty Adviser to The Cameron Collegian and AggieCentral.com
Department of Communication
Cameron University, Nance Boyer 2062
Office: 580.581.2259
Cell/Text: 580.678.1881

POSITION: Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication with experience in journalism and media studies. Primary responsibilities include teaching journalism and mass communication classes, assisting in the development of convergence journalism curriculum, and student recruitment and advisement. The candidate should possess the ability and the technological skills to teach courses in the Journalism concentration of the Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication.  Regular scholarship and service are required for retention, promotion and tenure. This is a tenure track appointment in the Communication Department (which currently has about 160 majors) offering a B.A. in Communication. The faculty currently consists of eight tenured or tenure-track faculty, three full-time non-tenure track faculty, and additional adjunct faculty. The department offers a major in communication with concentrations in speech communication, radio/television, public relations/organizational communication, and journalism.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Earned doctorate or M.F.A. in Journalism, Mass Communication or a related field. Teaching experience required.  A.B.D. status will be considered. A successful candidate not having completed the doctorate by August, 2011 will be appointed at the rank of instructor.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Earned doctorate or M.F.A. in Journalism, Mass Communication or a related field. Demonstrated excellence in teaching and integration of instructional and digital mass media technologies (e.g., integrated Web 2.0 toolsets, Adobe Creative Suite, HTML languages, etc...). Experience working in production of print and online media, journalistic reporting, writing, editing and layout/design.

SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with education and experience.

INSTITUTION: Cameron University (www.cameron.edu) is a state-supported regional institution located in Lawton, Oklahoma, that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees.  Dedicated to excellence, the university provides a wide range of economic, cultural, and educational opportunities for the betterment of all citizens.  Master’s-level graduate degrees are offered in business, behavioral sciences and education; baccalaureate programs are offered in more than forty disciplines, and associate degrees are offered in many other studies.  The close proximity of Fort Sill contributes to an area rich in cultural diversity and provides the opportunity for many cooperative efforts. The combined community of Lawton/Fort Sill has a population of more than 100,000 and is located adjacent to the picturesque Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge.

HOW TO APPLY: Complete the Cameron University Application <http://www.cameron.edu/uploads/69/be/69bef63d565c1139610f70a3e10c95b9/Cameron-University-Application-10-10.pdf> .  Submit a curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts indicating all relevant academic work and degrees, three letters of reference, evidence of excellence in teaching, and writing or publication samples to the search committee.

DEADLINE:  Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, only candidates whose applications are received by March 25, 2011 are assured of receiving full consideration.

SEND TO: Cameron University
Human Resources Department, Assistant Professor – Communication (Convergence Journalism)
2800 West Gore Blvd.
Lawton, OK  73505