Job: Junior web dev with The Denver Post

1 view

Daniel Petty

Feb 28, 2011, 3:03:38 PM2/28/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com
Hi CoPressers--

We're looking for a junior web developer to join our newsroom team at The Denver Post, and I wanted to tap into this list to see whether anyone might be interested. You'll be joining senior web developer Joe Murphy (@joemurph on Twitter) and another, yet-to-be-named senior web developer. We're looking for folks who are excited both about fulfilling the local mission of a large-size regional daily news organization and doing innovative work with presenting structured data on the web.

Here's the description:

The Jr. Web Software Developer will provide support to the interactive team with all aspects of building and maintaining digital products.

Essential Functions:
  • Support senior staff with website + web application design and development, maintaining websites, and input and verification of data to ensure product delivery.
  • Participate in meetings and carry out research as it pertains to projects.
  • Carry out other duties as may be assigned or requested.
Physical Working Conditions:
  • Standing 5%, walking 10%, sitting 85% of shift.
  • Use computer to design and develop digital products approximately 85% of the shift
Qualifications:
  • Possess basic knowledge of web development methodologies.
  • Fundamental skills in OOP -- Python or PHP skills are a plus.
  • Experience with a DBMS.
  • Command of grammar and spelling.
  • A passion for local news, structured data.
  • Excellent interpersonal and communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
  • Detail-oriented with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
  • Ability to listen to others and accept input from team members.
  • Values internal and external clients and responds to their needs as they arise.
  • 4 year degree or certificate from art or technology institute desired, or equivalent experience.
  • Understanding of a version control system.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to e-mail me here or Diane Exline, director of technology systems and solutions, at dex...@denverpost.com. Feel free to pass along to anyone who you feel might be interested or qualified.

Thanks,

Dan
__________

Dan Petty
Social Media Editor
The Denver Post
denverpost.com
303-954-1081
dpe...@denverpost.com
Twitter: @danielpetty

Bryan Murley

Feb 28, 2011, 8:44:21 PM2/28/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

would you have a link to the job description? I can send it to twitter
as well. Or post on a College Media listserv and the cicm weblog.

thanks,

bryan

--
Bryan Murley
Director for Innovation

twitter: @cicm

Daniel Petty

Feb 28, 2011, 9:07:20 PM2/28/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,

We had it posted for a little while on Craigslist and Monster a few weeks back, but the posting has expired. We're looking in some other areas -- like here -- to see whether we can get some other candidates into the mix. I will ask about reposting it. But if you'd like to post what I e-mailed out originally onto the CICM blog, then put my e-mail down as a contact, that would be fine. If not, I'll check again on posting it.

Dan

Bryan Murley

Feb 28, 2011, 9:13:15 PM2/28/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com
cool, will do. I've done so before with internships and the like.

bryan

Albert Sun

Feb 28, 2011, 9:18:37 PM2/28/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Murley
Might have better luck posting it somewhere like

or

where it's more likely a good web dev will come across it.

Megan Taylor

Feb 28, 2011, 9:41:23 PM2/28/11
to cop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

I'm helping to run the Hacks/Hackers job board, and could totally hook
you up if you'd like. Just let me know.

Megan Taylor

--
Megan Taylor