Trigger a reaction at some timepoint t

cel.c...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2022, 10:11:54 AM12/2/22
to COPASI User Forum
Hello,
is it possible to trigger a reaction at some timepoint t? So up until timepoint t and right after timepoint t the reaction should be "inactive" (so in other words the reaction rate should be 0).
The target can only be a species not a reaction.
I would be happy for suggestions.

Best
Celvic

Pedro Mendes

Dec 2, 2022, 10:29:44 AM12/2/22
to copasi-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Celvic,

you cannot have reactions as targets but you can have reaction rate
constants as targets. The best way to achieve what you seek is to set a
rate constant to zero and then set it to 1 at the event. You can do this
by multiplying the entire rate equation by such a rate constant. For
example for Michaelis-Menten you can do the following:

active*(Vmax*S/(Km+S))

if the rate constant "active" is set to 0 then the reaction does not
happen. When it is set to 1 then the reaction proceeds with
Michaelis-Menten kinetics.

Pedro

--
Pedro Mendes, PhD
Professor and Director

Hoops, Stefan (sh9cq)

Dec 2, 2022, 11:18:05 AM12/2/22
to copasi-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello Celvic,

Pedro explained how it can be done. I just like to point out if a
reaction is only active at a single time point T than it is actually
never active at all. You need to have the reaction active for a period
[T1, T2]

Thanks,
Stefan
--
Stefan Hoops, Ph.D.
Research Associate Professor

Phone: +1 540 570 1301
Email: sho...@virginia.edu

cel.c...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2022, 8:50:19 AM12/6/22
to COPASI User Forum
Hello Pedro,
Thank you alot! This helped me big time.

Best
Celvic