COPASI crash log and report - Where is it?

Giorgio Gabrielli

Dec 4, 2020, 1:10:52 PM12/4/20
to COPASI User Forum
Dear COPASI Community,
is there a log file that record messages or functions called before crash? I have been used COPASI since 5 years, for my University final project and other situations where it was very useful.

In my experience with it, it crashed a lot of times without an apparent reason loosing a lot of work's time. Anyway, for sure the "reason" in the code exist, but it would be helpful to have a crash log to speed up the process of bug correction, or exception management.

Today for example it crashed when i delete a new parameter sets created some seconds before(without knowing what I were doing but just exploring the software). How can i know why it crashed just to help to correct the bug?

COPASI must be based on cloud technology if it is not so stable, I think it is mandatory for improvements of this unique platform.

Waiting for some indications.

By bests regards to all the COPASI community and the developing team.

Giorgio

Frank Bergmann

Dec 7, 2020, 8:53:56 AM12/7/20
to COPASI User Forum
Hello Giorgio,

Thank you for letting us know about the issue in deleting parameter sets. I have just fixed it, so it will be fixed in the next version of COPASI. I'm afraid reporting bugs to us on this mailing list, or directly using our tracker at:

is the best way to let us know about bugs, and ensures that we fix them as soon as we can. COPASI does not log all your operations in the background, and does not use telemetry to inform us about bugs/exceptions.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
All the best
Frank

Giorgio Gabrielli

Dec 12, 2020, 10:59:23 AM12/12/20
to COPASI User Forum
Thank you Frank for your suggestions. I registred to the bugzilla forum.

Anyway, why do not to start to implement a basic system of exit codes errors system ? Just tracking the distribution of code errors recived should be faster to identify the most problematic functions and then correct them. A simple frequency exit code error distribution analysis, would help to establish priorities for bug fixing. It is just an idea, I am not a software engineer but I am a self-made programmer.

Let me know if I could help in some way or just signalling the errors.

My best regards.