Advice for setting up a cooperative in DC

Anne-Chris Maassen

Feb 17, 2021, 12:57:26 PM2/17/21
to Coops & Solidarity Economy in DC
Hi, group

I'm exploring if it's possible to set up  cooperative in DC (Capitol Hill, specifically but it could be beyond/ elsewhere) around toy and equipment sharing and joint purchase of bulk items (e.g. diapers).

The cooperative model looks appropriate (think REI meets netflix for toys / childcare equipment and consumables) , but I'm finding it really hard to get practical info on the legal and operational aspects (beyond the legal text https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/titles/29/chapters/10/)

Can anyone point me towards resources / share their experience?

Best,
Anne

Adam Maloon

Feb 17, 2021, 1:19:53 PM2/17/21
to Coops & Solidarity Economy in DC
I've always found Amy Abbot at Community Purchasing Alliance to be super approachable and knowledgeable about purchasing cooperatives.

Adam Maloon
Director of Stewardship
Douglass Community Land Trust
1231 Good Hope Rd SE
Washington, DC 20020

Feb 17, 2021, 1:27:02 PM2/17/21
to coo...@googlegroups.com
George Washington University’s Small Business & Community Economic Development Law Clinic is another good resource. They provide pro-bono legal support to co-ops (as do the legal clinics at UDC and other local universities). I did a webinar with the GW law clinic in the fall about how to start a co-op in DC. You can view the recording here: https://youtu.be/hdnVybBlHSE

JENNIFER BRYANT

Program Manager
Community Wealth Building Initiatives

Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)
2012 Rhode Island Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20018
202.529.5505 Office Ext. 225

jbr...@wacif.org

www.wacif.org

Coronavirus Resources: Wacif is administering the DC Small Business Recovery Microgrant Program. Check Wacif’s website for regularly updated coronavirus small business resources.

Connect with us: Web | Facebook | Twitter |News | LinkedIn

Sent from my iPhone

Annie Mahon

Feb 18, 2021, 10:13:23 AM2/18/21
to coo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anne,

YES! Cooperatives are the future. We have had a yoga studio cooperative since 2003 (made coop in 2014) and it is thriving.

The best places I have found to connect in DC are coopdc.com and dcstakeholders.coop. They can definitely help. You probably know that there are national groups like Federation of Cooperatives that offer free advice too https://www.usworker.coop/. Yes, setting up a coop is (purposefully) oblique and difficult. But getting easier as more people do it.

Hope that helps. Happy to chat about our experience if that is ever helpful.

warmly,
annie.

---
Annie Mahon (she/they), M.A. Religious Studies, 2000; Ordained by Thich Nhat Hanh, 2009

I don't do email on Sundays.
Join my email list for informal guidance on socially engaged mindfulness.

InstagramFacebookTwitter - #rawmindfulness
Occupying land of the Piscataway, Massawomeck, and Manahoac / Washington DC & Virginia