Credit Union / Bank Recommendation

Si V

Dec 6, 2023, 11:57:30 AM12/6/23
to dccommun...@googlegroups.com, coo...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

I'm wondering if people have recommendations for local banks or credit unions for business banking? Ideally a bank that supports international transfers (eg. has their own swift code).

Thanks,
Si

Adam Maloon

Dec 6, 2023, 12:36:15 PM12/6/23
to coo...@googlegroups.com, dccommun...@googlegroups.com

The DC Credit Union has good practices, but I’m not sure how good their user interface is.

If you are a member of Douglass CLT you are eligible for membership in DCFCU.

Links:

DC Credit Union

Douglass CLT Membership info

Ajowa Ifateyo

Dec 6, 2023, 1:25:47 PM12/6/23
to coo...@googlegroups.com
Whatever you do, don't mess with City First, which used to be a pretty decent community bank.  They don't even answer the phone, they don't keep their word and won't respond to email communication.  They recently merged with a LA bank and they went straight down the tubes.

Ajowa Nzinga Ifateyo

A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email signature

(she/her/hers)

In every true culture there is a note which belongs to all ages; a rhythm that belong to all races; and a color that fits all environments.
-- Torkom Saraydarian

If we surrendered to Earth's intelligence, we could rise up, rooted like trees.
     -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Grassroots Economic Organizing

Jordan Oeste

Dec 6, 2023, 1:41:26 PM12/6/23
to coo...@googlegroups.com
We've been using Lafayette Federal Credit Union for over a decade, and their customer service is great.

That said, I'm actually also on the hunt for a credit union or small/less-evil bank that offers Zelle business. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Justin Franks

Dec 8, 2023, 1:42:02 PM12/8/23
to coo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I was mentioning to Paul Hazen my frustration with DC Credit Union (and likely many other CUs) having a very low remote deposit limit (eg. $1,000 per check) and long check holds that are probably losing them a lot of business. If I have a paycheck that is more than $1k I literally can't give them my money unless I go in person.

He said National Cooperative Bank offers small business banking, and Amalgamated Bank offers international wires (@Si) and looks like they support Zelle (@Jordan) too, so worth checking either of those options.

Jordan Oeste

Dec 8, 2023, 2:12:50 PM12/8/23
to coo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info! I checked into Amalgamated a while back and was hopeful, but unfortunately they only offer regular/personal Zelle, they don't actually offer the option to accept business payments through Zelle :/ I will look into National Cooperative.

Ajowa Ifateyo