Greens, greens and more greens

Paul Leddy

Jun 21, 2010, 12:51:42 PM6/21/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

I help with compiling recipes and writing the occasional column for our CSA’s newsletter.  This week, the editor gave me my assignment for next week:   “For Week 3, I am beginning to struggle with finding new things do/say about all the greens.  Greens, greens and more greens coming next week.  Would it be possible for you to craft a column about "greens"?  We've had spinach, arugula, mixed Asian greens, the Chinese cabbages...and the salad greens.  I think the kale and chard will start kicking in next week as well...and I'm expecting greens to continue to be a weekly thing.  People may need some new ideas/tricks on how to manage them all.”

I love Diana’s recipe for Swiss Chard soup and with your permission I would like to share it with our members (I will reference the website).  Are there any other ideas out there for how you are using your greens?

I am new to the list and I can’t wait to share new ideas with each other this year.

Happy cooking!

Paul

Heather Lalley

Jun 23, 2010, 8:43:36 AM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
I would love to see that column, Paul. We get tons of greens, too.

I use lots of them in Green Smoothies. Roasted kale chips are wonderful. And you can always toss them into soups. They're also great sauteed with eggs.

I'd love to hear other uses for all of those greens.

Cheers,
Heather

Amy Martell

Jun 23, 2010, 9:30:09 AM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
I have to say, even I am swimming in almost too many greens for me to handle.

Would love if anyone has ideas for escarole, other than white bean and escarole soup!

Thanks!
Amy

Patricia Eddy

Jun 23, 2010, 3:22:14 PM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
Here are a few of my favorites:

Lacinato Kale with Black Bean and Garlic Sauce: http://www.cooklocal.com/?p=2737
Mostly Plants Breakfast Squares: http://www.cooklocal.com/?p=2723
Kale and Tomato Pesto Bake: http://www.cooklocal.com/?p=1803

Most of these can be repurposed with any green (except maybe spinach,
since that would wilt quickly). But for spinach, try a spinach soup.
http://www.cooklocal.com/?p=3003

-Patricia

Heather Lalley

Jun 23, 2010, 5:26:24 PM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
I LOVE the idea of the mostly plants breakfast squares. I'll definitely be trying that one. Thank you!

Heather

Amy Martell

Jun 23, 2010, 8:19:36 PM6/23/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
We've mentioned green smoothies and juices as options for greens, but
another great raw option is raw soup!

For tonight I blended up some romaine, arugala, chard, an avocado, a
bout 1/4 cup walnuts, a few sundried tomatoes, a garlic scape, lemon
and lime juice, cilantro, parsley and some s&p, a dash of cayenne, and
enough ice water and ice to make cold and creamy.

I topped it with some crushed tortilla chips and a bit of salsa.
Perfect for a hot, humid night!

Ami

Jun 24, 2010, 7:20:22 PM6/24/10
to Cooking Away My CSA
Here are a few of my favorites for chard:

Balsamic Chard and Zucchini: http://www.writingherlife.com/2008/06/ols-week-3-balsamic-chard-and-zucchini.html
Tangy Vegetables and Chick Peas Over Couscous:
http://www.writingherlife.com/2007/06/farmers-market-creations.html

And kale:

Kale with Red Beans, Cilantro and Feta:
http://www.writingherlife.com/2008/10/csa-report-winding-down.html
(adapted from Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's
Farmers' Markets)
Kale and Onion Frittata: http://www.writingherlife.com/2008/06/ols-week-5-my-first-frittata.html

You're welcome to use any of these, but please link to my blog:
http://writingherlife.com

Good luck!
Ami

Harriet Bowden

Jun 26, 2010, 4:41:26 AM6/26/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -

I'm new to the group, live in Knoxville TN and have joined a CSA for the first time this year. Like others, we have had LOTS o' greens so far. I wanted to share a couple of excellent recipes I found to make use of tat soi and bok choy:

Gingery tat soi with tofu steaks:
http://foodblogga.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-is-tat-soi.html

Bok choy salad:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=258456

Note: I followed both recipes closely except: for the tat soi dish, I didn't have sesame oil or seeds, so used canola oil and skipped the seeds. In the bok choy salad I dressed with only about half the dressing. Both were REALLY good!

My other favorite use for greens is in quiches. Most of the greens work great, chopped and lightly sauteed before putting them in a (crustless) quiche with about 4 eggs, 1/2 c. cottage cheese, 1/2 c. milk, 3/4 cup shredded cheese, 1/4 cup each diced onion and peppers, and a splash of hot sauce. (Cook @ 350 for about 35 minutes). My 2-year-old loves this and I do too!

Cheers,
Harriet

allibrew

Jun 26, 2010, 8:30:45 PM6/26/10
to Cooking Away My CSA
I just made an Asian rice dish with chard last week that was great. I
think this would work great with almost any kind of green:

http://getnatured.blogspot.com/2010/06/asian-rice-with-greens-and-pecans.html

Allison