herbed summer coleslaw

Amy Martell

Jul 6, 2010, 10:04:26 PM7/6/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey all -

For the 4th, I concocted a non-mayo coleslaw using the cabbage from this week's box and whatever else I could find at my aunt's house (where I was staying for the weekend).  It's very basic, but very tasty, plus infinitely modifiable.  All measurements are estimates, so adjust to taste.

1 head cabbage
about 2 Tbsp fresh basil (about 6 big leaves)
about 2 Tbsp fresh parsley
about 1 Tbsp fresh chives
2 large carrots

1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 to 3 Tbsp sugar or honey (to taste)
2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
1/2 to 1 tsp mustard (I used honey mustard, but I think it would work fine with dry, and would be great with Dijon or pommery)
1/4 tsp celery seed, ground
S&P

Finely chop the cabbage, herbs and carrots, to desired shredded-ness.  In a separate bowl, combine honey or sugar first with the vinegar, and then add oil, mustard and celery seed until blended well.  Toss dressing with cabbage/herb/carrot mixture, and then let sit in refrigerator for at least an hour.  S&P to taste.

Cheers!

Heather Lalley

Jul 7, 2010, 9:59:18 AM7/7/10
to cooking-a...@googlegroups.com
That sounds great! Looking forward to getting some cabbage in my box. Thanks,

Heather