GridView performance issue due to infinite GridCell#updateItem calls

PrimosK

Mar 25, 2020, 10:50:18 AM3/25/20
to ControlsFX
Dear ControlsFX community,

At first I would like to thank you for your hard word and this great project.

I have a problem which I am not sure how to solve.

We've been using FXControls 8.40.14. (JDK 8).
Now we've upgraded to FXControls 11.0.1. (JDK 11).

After upgrading we've noticed issues related to `GridView`. What's happening is that `GridCell#updateItem` is called infinitely.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to prepare a SCSSE which could be used to reproduce the exact same issue. The closest I could get is this:

So when running this example with:
- FXControls 8.40.14. - there will be 146 invocations of GridCell#updateItem(...)
- FXControls  11.0.1. - there will be 234 invocations of GridCell#updateItem(...)
for initial rendering of `GridView`. But as I said - in our project GridCell#updateItem(...) is called infinitely.

After further investigating it I was able to found out that this issue is most probably related to this change (see `GridRow.java:106`):

Skipping line at `GridRow.java:106` seems to fix the issue with infinite `GridCell#updateItem(...)`...

Unfortunately this issue makes `GridView` unusable for us.

Has anyone else experienced the same?
Are there any workarounds we could apply?

PrimosK

Mar 25, 2020, 10:53:29 AM3/25/20
to ControlsFX
Update on this topic:
I was able to came up with SCSSE which demonstrates this issue - i've published it on the issue tracker: