Beta feedback

Vitaly Mankevich

Feb 11, 2010, 1:43:33 PM2/11/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
So far we have shipped 11 beta subsets to 6 people. 3 more subsets are
being made.

I created a forum thread for the beta feedback/discussion:
http://www.contraptor.org/forum/t-218353/beta-kits-feedback

Everyone is welcome.

joshua wojnas

Apr 14, 2010, 4:32:56 PM4/14/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
The 1/2 inch 10-24 bolts that hold the ball bearings, on the linear
bearings; are too short.

Only about two threads ,on the zinc plated bolts; are exposed.

The nut goes on, but it bearly catches on the threads; and cannot
be tightened.

The problem could be corrected, by using a 3/4 inch bolt; with
lock washers, under it's head.

Or, use the 3/4 bolts; and use a Dremel, with a cut off disk, trim
off the excess; flush with the nut.

Either would work; and am wondering what is your take on this matter.

Please reply;

--
thanks for your time,
Joshua Wojnas

Vitaly Mankevich

Apr 14, 2010, 8:21:37 PM4/14/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
I ran into this earlier, but I think I only had 1/2" and 3/4" screws
handy at the moment. As far as I remember, 3/4" were too long - it was
difficult to insert and tighten the opposite bearing, and I went with
1/2". For some reason I didn't think about padding them with washers,
but like you say it should work. Also, 5/8" screws could also work:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#90279A104

BTW, great to see the feedback!

joshua wojnas

May 9, 2010, 10:51:08 AM5/9/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Note to contraptor people.
Dear Sir's;

    #1- The large Philips screws, for the "shaft mount assy.", were missing.
           I was only able to build 5 of 8, of the assy's.

     #2- On the "coupling nut clamp", One of the aluminum angle's , had all 6 holes drilled; but 2 were not taped for the screws.

     #3- The nylon angles, were not included, for the "limit switches.
            Also, I wasn't sure if the screws were to be taken, from one of the other bags.

           Thank You,
                                          Josh

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM, joshua wojnas <jos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The 1/2 inch 10-24 bolts that hold the ball bearings, on the linear
> bearings; are too short.
>
>    Only about two threads ,on the zinc plated bolts; are exposed.
>
>    The nut goes on, but it bearly catches on the threads; and cannot
> be tightened.
>
>        The problem could be corrected, by using a 3/4 inch bolt; with
> lock washers, under it's head.
>
>    Or, use the 3/4 bolts; and use a Dremel, with a cut off disk, trim
> off the excess; flush with the nut.
>
>    Either would work; and am wondering what is your take on this matter.
>
>        Please reply;
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Vitaly Mankevich <albanetc.sr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So far we have shipped 11 beta subsets to 6 people. 3 more subsets are
>> being made.
>>
>> I created a forum thread for the beta feedback/discussion:
>> http://www.contraptor.org/forum/t-218353/beta-kits-feedback
>>
>> Everyone is welcome.
>>

> --
> thanks for your time,
> Joshua Wojnas
> 315 5071070
> My webpages on electronics
> ... comming soon

Vitaly Mankevich

May 9, 2010, 5:22:41 PM5/9/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Josh,

Thanks for the feedback, this is basically my reply to your email with
added questions to the community:

>     #1- The large Philips screws, for the "shaft mount assy.", were missing.
>            I was only able to build 5 of 8, of the assy's.

The "right size" screws for the shaft mount assemblies are
button socket cap (there should be 3*8 of those). The larger Phillips
screws (2*8) and smaller socket cap screws (2*8) are also included in
case the bearing has a slop or doesn't fit. So yes, if you only use
Phillips screws for the shaft mounts, there won't be enough of them,
but there should be 24 button socket cap screws in the bag that
contained the shaft mounts.

Kinda wondering how well the bearing fits the 3 screws in the other
kits and whether the combination of phillips/button socket cap is
sufficient? Anyone?

>      #2- On the "coupling nut clamp", One of the aluminum angle's , had all
> 6 holes drilled; but 2 were not taped for the screws.

That could happen since the parts have been fabricated manually.
I'm currently talking to a machine shop about machining small volume
of Contraptor parts, so these kinds of problems should not be
occurring in the future. Sorry about that and I can mail you a couple
of replacement ones if you want. Alternatively, tapping the holes with
6-32 tap (or even a screw) can work as this diameter is very easy to
tap.

>      #3- The nylon angles, were not included, for the "limit switches.

That's correct, the limit switches are part of the electronics
and motors kit, the rationale being that if you use your own
electronics, it might come with its own limit switches; also the
default Contraptor limit switches may not work (they are 1 when open
and 0 when closed).

>             Also, I wasn't sure if the screws were to be taken, from one of
> the other bags.

The small screws are typically arranged in the same bag with the parts
that they go with. I should probably start labeling the bags as there
is too many of them and it can be unclear which screws go where.

Did anyone else have the issue with not being clear which screws go where etc?

Vit