measuring cycle time

Marc Tompkins

Jan 27, 2015, 7:58:44 PM1/27/15
to continuou...@googlegroups.com
Anyone measuring cycle time of your CI/CD pipeline? Are you collecting the data automatically via your pipeline or manually?

What are your start and end points? By definition I think the points should be the decision to create or change a feature (start clock) and the delivery of the feature to end customer (stop the clock). But I want to automate the collection of the metric, which isn't easy given the definition. I'm thinking of re-defining cycle time (for our organization) to be a change committed to SCM (start clock) and the change being released to the customer (stop clock). That seems a little more discrete to me and therefore easier to capture.