Docker and rpm how would you work with the two?

Tom

Sep 20, 2015, 11:42:24 AM9/20/15
to Continuous Delivery
Currently I create rpm and deploy with puppet.  I want to start using docker and kubernetes, docker has dockerfile.

in rpm:

1. take the war
2. update tomcat files
3. restart tomcat

there are other projects where in puppet i have zillion lines of code and more complex rpm's.

now when i move to docker how would you recommend using it?

1. dockerfile reuses the rpm my maven creates for my project.
2. don't create rpm and use dockerfile to install your .war

how would you recommend going about it?

?
(I have the same questions about puppet but that's another story).

thanks