Team Foundation Server Build 2017 (vNext?) And Getting Started....

mawa316

Jul 20, 2018, 10:52:09 AM7/20/18
to Continuous Delivery
Hi all,

I hope this is the right group for this.  I've tried to get information on other sites, but some are so rigid with regard to posts, responses, question it was frustrating.

So, I have what is going to be our next build server installed with Visual Studio 2017.  I also have TFS XAML Build 2015 installed as I wanted to get our new software builds up and running under our previous CI methodology before moving to vNext.  Well, that's not going very well as it doesn't seem that those two pieces of software play nice with one another.  Running the build with TFS Build 2015 does not find or use the VS 2017 MSBuild.exe nor its toolkits.

So, I've decided I'll grab the bull by the horns and wrestle with making this new machine strictly a TFS Build 2017 machine.

First, I wonder if I should remove TFS Build 2015 from this machine.  I'm thinking that might be a good first step. ??

Second, do I have to install any TFS 2017 components local to this new server or do I have to install a second application tier.  As mentioned, using XAML, you had to install that piece of TFS 2015, but that has since been deprecated.  So, just wondering what needs to be installed, other than Visual Studio 2017 on our build server.  We have a central company TFS server which will soon be upgraded to TFS 2017.  Will that be sufficient?  It would be cool if the only thing I needed on the Build Server was VS 2017 to get this to work, but I have no problem installing any other requirements as long as they don't interfere in any way with our main TFS code repository/server.

This is will be an On-Site implementation and not in the cloud/VSTS.

After the server is squared away, I think I know how to download and create an agent.  Then its off to working through the build definition.

Hopefully someone out there who is using TFS Build for CI can help me with Build Server setup.

Greatly Appreciated In Advance!!!

mawa316

Aug 20, 2018, 9:25:10 AM8/20/18
to continuou...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to update.

TFS 2017 components from the actual TFS installation package do not have to be installed on the build server.  The only thing that has to be installed or configured is the Build Agent which is installed via .zip download from the TFS Server via web based VSTS.  Its very easy to get set up.

The only issue I had configuring the agent was setting the Agent Pool.  I just used the default pool when configuring the agent the first time.  However, while configuring the build definition afterwards, the Agent was not available for selection.  The only way I say the Agent while configuring the build definition was to first create an Agent Pool other than or in addition to default.  Then I reconfigured the Agent (removed in VSTS agent pools first) using the new Agent pool.  I was then able to select or see the Agent when I was setting up the definition.

After setting up the build agent, the actual Definition is fairly easy to set up and is flexible to meet your needs.