ContinualAI Reading Group: "IIRC: Incremental Implicitly-Refined Classification"

Vincenzo Lomonaco

Mar 3, 2021, 1:44:40 PM3/3/21
to Continual Learning & AI News
Dear All,

This Friday 5-03-2021, 5.30 pm CET, for the ContinualAI Reading Group, Mohamed Abdelsalam (MILA) will present the paper:

Abstract: We introduce the "Incremental Implicitly-Refined Classification (IIRC)" setup, an extension to the class incremental learning setup where the incoming batches of classes have two granularity levels. i.e., each sample could have a high-level (coarse) label like "bear" and a low-level (fine) label like "polar bear". Only one label is provided at a time, and the model has to figure out the other label if it has already learned it. This setup is more aligned with real-life scenarios, where a learner usually interacts with the same family of entities multiple times, discovers more granularity about them, while still trying not to forget previous knowledge. Moreover, this setup enables evaluating models for some important lifelong learning challenges that cannot be easily addressed under the existing setups. These challenges can be motivated by the example "if a model was trained on the class bear in one task and on polar bear in another task, will it forget the concept of bear, will it rightfully infer that a polar bear is still a bear? and will it wrongfully associate the label of polar bear to other breeds of bear?". We develop a standardized benchmark that enables evaluating models on the IIRC setup. We evaluate several state-of-the-art lifelong learning algorithms and highlight their strengths and limitations. For example, distillation-based methods perform relatively well but are prone to incorrectly predicting too many labels per image. We hope that the proposed setup, along with the benchmark, would provide a meaningful problem setting to the practitioners

The event will be moderated by: Vincenzo Lomonaco.

You can also contact me if you want to speak at one of the next sessions!

Best regards,

ContinualAI President
Vincenzo Lomonaco