Project costs estimates

titan foresight

Jan 30, 2012, 4:20:05 PM1/30/12
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I lead a software company and we are working on improving the huge website industrialization experience ( over 1000 pages)
One of my point of interest is to be able to roughly estimates the project fees based on the Information Architecture (not only content but devs, translation, media,...).

what are the factors which influence the content production and especially Text?
number of character required per type
Amount of research
coordination of the validation process

are you weeling to exchange about this topic?

Kind regards,

Pierre Jean

Maria Varmazis

Feb 1, 2012, 11:49:59 AM2/1/12
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pierre,

Hopefully I am not misunderstanding your question; aside from an "all of the above" answer for influencers in content production, I'd say it does depend a bit on how developers are being paid -- by the word or by hours spent (or by some other factor).

Having previously worked on software content, a huge amount of time in content development was involved in validation, from product experts or in-house engineers, for example. Research was a secondary concern, and word count was a factor, but only in terms of the final output, as many of our content developers were paid by final word count.

That said, when content got stuck in long, involved validation cycles, it can cause a lot of churn for the content developers to parse -- it can be extremely expensive if you're not careful. The solution to this problem that we used was a dedicated resource (or at least a point person) who makes sense of the feedback, distills it into actionable items, and sends it to the content developer. This person would also be a point person for translation-related questions (clarifications on terms or meaning). This did allow us to cut a significant amount of time out of our content development cycles when working on major site-wide projects.

I hope this helps.

Maria Varmazis

stephanie mcgrath

Feb 2, 2012, 9:58:09 AM2/2/12
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi there. Have you seen this? It's a content calculator (in beta) that tries to help you calculate estimates for content projects: http://calculator.eatmedia.net/

titan foresight

Feb 7, 2012, 3:14:42 PM2/7/12
to content...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your feedback.

My tool offer the full sitemap with the relevant content templates (word or exel) into a simple file system easy to upload onto a collaborative portal. This way the project manager deal with a finite universe.

Regarding the validation process which is really too long we are planning to associate online validation owrkflow to each content template to have a realtime insight about the content production progression.
Once the bulks files reach the content ready state we populate a sharepoint portal.

@Leif I will call you to dig a bit how cost can be estimate at the early beginning of the project (start + 10 days)
@maria I will review the app you push and make a feedback seams very interesting.

Best regards,

Pierre Jean
www.dotspine,net

Hilary Marsh

Jul 9, 2019, 2:51:59 PM7/9/19
to content...@googlegroups.com
Remember when this community was vibrant and had lots of discussion? I do!

Inspired by this, I’ve created a new online content strategy community.
If you’re interested in sharing with and learning from other content strategists from around the U.S. and all over the world, consider joining:  http://content-strategy.com
There are other good online communities for content strategists on Facebook and Slack, but not everyone is on Facebook, and some don't appreciate Slack’s interface. And LinkedIn’s restrictions have made the content strategy community there not as useful as it once was.

The new community uses a platform that seems intuitive and attractive. Launched in early June, we already have more than 300 members and are having some great conversations and sharing resources.

Its free to join. And the community will be better with you in it!

Best,

Hilary

Hilary Marsh
President and Chief Strategist, Content Company

312-806-7854  |  hil...@contentcompany.biz

Content strategy consultant, speaker, teacher
http://www.contentcompany.biz
Set up a chat: https://hilarymarsh.youcanbook.me
Subscribe to my newsletter: http://www.contentcompany.biz/newsletter

Stacey King Gordon

Jul 9, 2019, 3:38:03 PM7/9/19
to content...@googlegroups.com
I'm so excited! Just applied for membership to this cool-kids club! <3

Kathy White

Jul 9, 2019, 4:23:49 PM7/9/19
to content...@googlegroups.com

david.charron1969

Jul 9, 2019, 5:55:45 PM7/9/19
to content...@googlegroups.com
This is great news. Cheers!

Envoyé depuis mon téléphone intelligent Samsung Galaxy.