[VOTE] Release CSI spec v1.7.0 (closes 2022 October 24)

Saad Ali

Oct 20, 2022, 6:02:12 PM10/20/22
to container-storage-interface-community
I've cut a v1.7.0-rc2 release for the CSI specification (candidate for v1.7.0): https://github.com/container-storage-interface/spec/releases/tag/v1.7.0-rc2

Please vote on releasing this candidate as CSI spec v1.7.0.

The vote is open until 2022 October 24.

The voting process is documented at: https://github.com/container-storage-interface/community/blob/master/governance.md#voting

I've compiled a preliminary list of changes between the v1.6.0 and v1.7.0 release:

Breaking changes/Deprecations:
  • None
Additions:
  • spec (PR #509): Promote VOLUME_MOUNT_GROUP node capability to GA.
  • spec (PR #517): Promote GET_VOLUME and VOLUME_CONDITION capability to GA
Clarifications/Corrections/Fixes:
  • spec (PR #523): Fix typos
  • spec (PR #508): Fix typos
Dependencies:
  • go (PR #524): Move to golang v1.18.

**Full Changelog**: https://github.com/container-storage-interface/spec/compare/v1.6.0...v1.7.0-rc2

James DeFelice

Oct 20, 2022, 6:10:38 PM10/20/22
to Saad Ali, container-storage-interface-community
Looking at the changes, I see...
"""
      // Note that, for alpha, `VolumeCondition` is intended be
      // informative for humans only, not for automation.
"""
... was removed. Now that VolumeCondition is GA, has our posture changed w/ respect to this?
--
James DeFelice

Xing Yang

Oct 20, 2022, 6:17:10 PM10/20/22
to James DeFelice, Saad Ali, container-storage-interface-community
After we moved the monitoring logic from the external agent to Kubelet, we have also added a metric in Kubelet based on VolumeCondition.  It is possible for automation to happen based on metrics.  So I think it is fine to remove that comment.

Thanks,
Xing

James DeFelice

Oct 20, 2022, 8:26:53 PM10/20/22
to Xing Yang, Saad Ali, container-storage-interface-community
Is volumecondition.message being used programmatically for signaling specific, well known states or is it still for human consumption only? Wondering if we need to tighten this up before actual GA, it seems unclear now.

Saad Ali

Oct 21, 2022, 3:09:47 PM10/21/22
to James DeFelice, Xing Yang, container-storage-interface-community
Good points James. Xing can you work with James to resolve this. I can cut another RC if needed.

Xing Yang

Oct 21, 2022, 5:33:30 PM10/21/22
to Saad Ali, James DeFelice, container-storage-interface-community
Hi Saad,

Will do.

Thanks,
Xing

Saad Ali

Oct 24, 2022, 7:33:07 PM10/24/22
to Xing Yang, James DeFelice, container-storage-interface-community
I'll hold of on 1.7 until we close on this. Please let me know once this is resolved.

Xing Yang

Oct 31, 2022, 2:41:39 PM10/31/22
to Saad Ali, James DeFelice, container-storage-interface-community
Hi Saad,

We need to get the following PRs merged and cut another rc release of v1.7.0:

Thanks,
Xing

Saad Ali

Oct 31, 2022, 2:58:21 PM10/31/22
to Xing Yang, James DeFelice, container-storage-interface-community
Merged the second one. Will let James merge the first one.
Once both are merged will cut another RC and ping this thread.

James DeFelice

Nov 1, 2022, 10:19:35 AM11/1/22
to Saad Ali, Xing Yang, container-storage-interface-community
I merged 530
--
James DeFelice

Saad Ali

Nov 1, 2022, 1:59:38 PM11/1/22
to container-storage-interface-community
Based on the discussion here, I've cut a v1.7.0-rc3 release for the CSI specification (candidate for v1.7.0): https://github.com/container-storage-interface/spec/releases/tag/v1.7.0-rc3

Please vote on releasing this candidate as CSI spec v1.7.0.

The vote is open until 2022 Nov 3.

The voting process is documented at: https://github.com/container-storage-interface/community/blob/master/governance.md#voting

I've compiled a preliminary list of changes between the v1.6.0 and v1.7.0 release:

Breaking changes/Deprecations:
  • None
Additions:
  • spec (PR #509): Promote VOLUME_MOUNT_GROUP node capability to GA.
Clarifications/Corrections/Fixes:
  • spec (PR #523): Fix typos
  • spec (PR #508): Fix typos
Dependencies:
  • go (PR #524, #528): Move to golang v1.18.
**Full Changelog**: https://github.com/container-storage-interface/spec/compare/v1.6.0...v1.7.0-rc3

James DeFelice

Nov 1, 2022, 2:06:35 PM11/1/22
to Saad Ali, container-storage-interface-community
+1

James DeFelice

Hemant Kumar

Nov 1, 2022, 2:07:28 PM11/1/22
to James DeFelice, Saad Ali, container-storage-interface-community

Xing Yang

Nov 1, 2022, 2:26:39 PM11/1/22

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 1:59 PM 'Saad Ali' via container-storage-interface-community <container-storage-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Saad Ali

Nov 3, 2022, 4:05:48 PM11/3/22
to container-storage-interface-community