Last Reminder! Underscore -- Sat. Oct. 22nd, 2-5pm

Jenny Sawyer

Oct 20, 2022, 3:15:07 PM10/20/22
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia Contacters,

The next Underscore will take place on October 22, 2022 from 2-5pm

If you want to come, please register by 10pm Friday. If there is not high enough attendance, the event may be cancelled. Please contact me if you have any questions/concerns!

The Underscore practice requires registration. It will take place in an indoor studio in South Philly easily accessible by various forms of transportation including SEPTA's Broad Street Line. Exact location is announced after you register and confirmed via email the morning of the event. Register here: https://phillyunderscore102222.eventbrite.com

We are no longer requiring participants to have the covid-19 vaccination. All other health protocol remain in place. We are permitting consensual touch between dancers. See more details below.

Since the regular Underscore facilitator, Loren Groenendaal, will be away this month, I, Jenny Sawyer, am happily stepping in to facilitate this month. I’m looking forward to dancing with you!

WHAT IS THE UNDERSCORE?

The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection, and various physical/mental states. We (do our best to) commit to participating in the entire score (which includes resting, eating, digesting, observing, bonding with the earth).

Nancy Stark Smith, who originated the practice, describes it this way: "The Underscore is a vehicle for incorporating Contact Improvisation into a broader arena of improvisational dance practice; for developing greater ease dancing in spherical space—alone and with others; and for integrating kinesthetic and compositional concerns while improvising. It allows for a full spectrum of energetic and physical expressions, embodying a range of forms and changing states. Its practice is familiar yet unpredictable." More info: http://nancystarksmith.com/underscore

UNDERSCORE PROTOCOL:

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. Those who Arrive at 2pm and come to the Assembly shortly thereafter will stay through the conclusion by 5pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice.

YOU MUST REGISTER via this eventbrite to participate in the UNDERSCORE and receive information about the location.

A prior UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH is required to participate in the Underscore. More about this below.

Street shoes and Food are not permitted in the dance studios. You may snack in the lounge or outside.

HEALTH /COMMUNITY CARE PROTOCOL:

Capacity is limited to 15 people.

Masks are required. (Participants may briefly unmask to drink water if 6 feet or more away from others. There is an outdoor courtyard that will allow for even more space.)

We strongly encourage that you wash your hands once you arrive to the building and after the Underscore before you leave.

We strongly encourage that all participants wear clean garments with long sleeves and pants for minimal skin exposure to reduce the possibility of transmission of MonkeyPox Virus.

Touch with consent is permitted.

We are prepared to do contact tracing. If a participant discovers within 7 days after the Underscore that they are positive for covid, monkeypox or another infectious disease that could have transmission in the Underscore setting, please email jroes...@gmail.com and we will let the rest of the group know about their possible exposure.

Covid-19 Vaccination is encouraged, but not required

Do NOT attend the Underscore if you have symptoms of COVID, have tested positive for COVID or have a known or possible COVID exposure in the last 10 days, UNLESS you have tested negative at least 5 days after exposure.

Do NOT attend the jam if if you have symptoms of MonkeyPox Virus (flu, fever, swollen lymph nodes, new skin rash), a current case of MPV, or a known exposure to MonkeyPox in the past 2 weeks.

UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH INFORMATION:

WHAT: Underscore Talk Through

WHEN: Friday, October 21, 6-7pm

WHERE: Location TBD, potentially in person in West Philly or on Zoom

WHY: A prior Talk Through is required to participate in the Underscore. The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The Talk Through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore Talk Through before, you should attend. The Talk Through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

SIGN-UP by emailing  jroes...@gmail.com

NOTE: If no one registers for the Talk Through by 9pm on Thursday, October 20, this Talk through will be cancelled.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via Paypal to jroes...@gmail.com, via Venmo @JennyRSawyer, or cash.

UNDERSCORE BASICS:

WHAT: Underscore Practice

WHEN: Saturday, October 22, 2-5pm

WHERE: South Philly indoor studio with exact location revealed after registration

WHO: Jenny Sawyer is facilitating, up to 14 are welcome to register if they have had a prior Talk Through

SIGN-UP by registering at https://phillyunderscore102222.eventbrite.com

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds.  Payments may be made via Paypal to jroes...@gmail.com, via Venmo @JennyRSawyer, or cash at the event.

QUESTIONS:  jroes...@gmail.com

Hoping to dance with you soon,