Philly Underscore is THIS Saturday 11/19 3-6pm,Talk Through today Th 11/17 5:45

Loren Groenendaal

Nov 17, 2022, 2:01:27 PM11/17/22
to ContactImprovPhilly

Hello Philadelphia Contacters,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is THIS Saturday, November 17, 2022 and will be slightly later on the day than usual, 3-6pm. We will meet in the Rear Studio of Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative.

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore111922.eventbrite.com.

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through. I will be offering one TODAY in person at the Cardell dance studio at 5:45 p.m. If you can't come in person and want to zoom in, email me and we can set that up. And there's more details about both of these events below.

WHAT IS THE UNDERSCORE?

The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection, and various physical/mental states. We (do our best to) commit to participating in the entire score (which includes resting, eating, digesting, observing, bonding with the earth).

Nancy Stark Smith, who originated the practice, describes it this way: "The Underscore is a vehicle for incorporating Contact Improvisation into a broader arena of improvisational dance practice; for developing greater ease dancing in spherical space—alone and with others; and for integrating kinesthetic and compositional concerns while improvising. It allows for a full spectrum of energetic and physical expressions, embodying a range of forms and changing states. Its practice is familiar yet unpredictable." More info: http://nancystarksmith.com/underscore

UNDERSCORE PROTOCOL:

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. Those who Arrive at 2pm and come to the Assembly shortly thereafter will stay through the conclusion by 5pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice.

YOU MUST REGISTER via this eventbrite to participate in the UNDERSCORE.

A prior UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH is required to participate in the Underscore. More about this below.

Street shoes and Food are not permitted in the dance studios. You may snack in the lounge or outside.

HEALTH /COMMUNITY CARE PROTOCOL:

Capacity is limited to 15 people.

I strongly encourage you to wash your hands once you arrive to the building and after the Underscore before you leave.

Masks are required. (Participants may briefly unmask to drink water if 6 feet or more away from others. There is an outdoor courtyard that will allow for even more space.)

Touch with consent is permitted.

I am prepared to do contact tracing. If a participant discovers within 7 days after the Underscore that they are positive for covid, monkeypox or another infectious disease that could have transmission in the Underscore setting, please email lorenteach...@gmail.com and we will let the rest of the group know about their possible exposure.

Since September 2022, Covid-19 Vaccination is encouraged, but not required.

I strongly encourage that all participants wear clean garments with long sleeves and pants for minimal skin exposure.

Do NOT attend the Underscore if you have symptoms of COVID, have tested positive for COVID or have a known or possible COVID exposure in the last 10 days, UNLESS you have tested negative at least 5 days after exposure.

Do NOT attend the jam if you have symptoms of Monkeypox Virus (flu, fever, swollen lymph nodes, new skin rash), a current case of MPV, or a known exposure to MonkeyPox in the past 2 weeks.

UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH INFORMATION:

WHAT: Underscore Talk Through

WHEN: Thursday, November 17 5:45-6:45pm

WHERE: Cardell Dance Studio, 1713 Melon Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130

WHY: A prior Talk Through is required to participate in the Underscore. The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The Talk Through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore Talk Through before, you should attend. The Talk Through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via eventbrite, Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal, or cash. Cash or eventbrite is preferred.

NOTE: Vaccination against Covid-19 is required by the Cardell Dance Studio.

UNDERSCORE BASICS:

WHAT: Underscore Practice

WHEN: Saturday, November 19 3-6pm

WHERE: Rear Studio at Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative, 1170 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19146

WHO: Loren Groenendaal is facilitating, up to 14 are welcome to register if they have had a prior Talk Through

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

REGISTER: https://phillyunderscore111922.eventbrite.com.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com

Streamingly,
Loren

Loren Groenendaal
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance
Adjunct Professor at Muhlenberg College
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space Cooperative

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured Atlas to support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.

Loren Groenendaal

Nov 30, 2022, 8:16:23 PM11/30/22
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia Contacters,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is NEXT Saturday, December 10, 2022 2-4:30pm. I have shortened the time for this Underscore Practice from our recent usual 3 hours as that feels a little long in the sleepy, dark, depths of winter. We may return to 3 hours in another season. We will meet in the Rear Studio of Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative.

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore121022.eventbrite.com

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through. I will be offering one on Monday, December 5 10:30-11:30am via Zoom, but if that time doesn't work for you, email me about the possibility of scheduling another time.

[...]

WHEN: Monday, December 5 10:30-11:30am (*maybe another time TBD)

WHERE: On Zoom: https://muhlenberg.zoom.us/j/95745044232?pwd=UFlwTG9qcWVVaXFQOTZaVlAzbmJpQT09
Meeting ID: 957 4504 4232 Passcode: 794535

WHY: A prior Talk Through is required to participate in the Underscore. The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The Talk Through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore Talk Through before, you should attend. The Talk Through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via eventbrite, Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal, or cash. Cash or eventbrite is preferred.

*If this Talk Through time doesn't work for you, email LorenGro...@gmail.com to inquire about arranging another time.

UNDERSCORE BASICS:

WHAT: Underscore Practice

WHEN: Saturday, December 10 2-4:30pm

WHERE: Rear Studio at Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative, 1170 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19146

WHO: Loren Groenendaal is facilitating, up to 14 are welcome to register if they have had a prior Talk Through

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

Loren Groenendaal

Dec 9, 2022, 8:30:47 PM12/9/22
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia Contacters,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is TOMORROW Saturday, December 10, 2022 2-4:30pm.

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore121022.eventbrite.com. If you miss the eventbrite deadline, email me to inquire if there is still space. As of now, there is.

[...]

Loren Groenendaal

Jan 21, 2023, 1:38:36 PM1/21/23
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia Contacters,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is NEXT Saturday, January 28, 2023 2-4:30pm in the Rear Studio of Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative.

The Underscore requires prior registration at phillyunderscore012823.eventbrite.com

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through. I will be offering one on Tuesday, January 24 7:30-8:30pm via Zoom. More details below.

[...]

WHEN: Tuesday, January 24 7:30-8:30pm EST

WHERE: On Zoom: muhlenberg.zoom.us/j/95902949727?pwd=MjgxdkpJOHByM0FJQk1URGZJeUpwQT09
 Meeting D: 959 0294 9727 Passcode: 547210

WHY: A prior Talk Through is required to participate in the Underscore. The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The Talk Through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore Talk Through before, you should attend. The Talk Through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via eventbrite, Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal, or cash. Cash or eventbrite is preferred.

NOTE: Please bring something to write with and on to this meeting.

UNDERSCORE BASICS:

WHAT: Underscore Practice

WHEN: Saturday, January 28 2-4:30pm

WHERE: Rear Studio at Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative, 1170 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19146

WHO: Loren Groenendaal is facilitating, up to 14 are welcome to register if they have had a prior Talk Through

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

REGISTER: phillyunderscore012823.eventbrite.com

NOTES: I recommend bringing a water bottle, snacks, something to write on, and something to write with.

Loren Groenendaal

Feb 20, 2023, 11:53:41 AM2/20/23
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia area Contact Improvisers,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is THIS Saturday, February 25, 2023 2-4:30pm in the Rear Studio of Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative.

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore022523.eventbrite.com

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through. Time is TBD, so email me to set up a time.

[...]

WHEN: TBD, email me to set up a time

WHERE: TBD- Zoom or in person

[...]

WHEN: Saturday, February 25 2-4:30pm

WHERE: Rear Studio at Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative, 1170 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19146

WHO: Loren Groenendaal is facilitating, up to 14 are welcome to register if they have had a prior Talk Through

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

Loren Groenendaal

Apr 22, 2023, 7:56:48 PM4/22/23
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia area Contact Improvisers,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is Saturday, April 29, 2023 2:00-4:00pm in the Rear Studio of Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative and this month will include live music by Steve Davit on saxophone! :)

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore042923.eventbrite.com

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through. Time is TBD, so email me to set up a time.

PLEASE NOTE This 4/29/23 Underscore IS 2:00-4:00pm (NOT 3-5:30pm as originally promoted).

[...]

WITH LIVE MUSIC:

This April Underscore will have musical accompaniment/collaboration from live musician Steve Davit, specializing in saxophone. Steve Davit plays many roles: world-touring saxophonist, composer, producer, game designer, creativity coach, and father of two. In a world full of division, detachment and distraction, Steve hopes to reconnect people with their common humanity so that together we can create more art, beauty and meaning. Steve’s fascination for the flow between spontaneity and structure has led him to deeply explore our relationship with our creative, improvisational Muse and our analytical, cerebral Mind. We all have access to these parts of ourselves and that, in order to flourish, we need to learn to listen to them in order to give our greatest gifts to the world. Steve has a fair amount of experience improvising music with dance and with Underscore facilitator Loren Groenendaal, so we are looking forward to sharing this connection with the Underscore group. To learn more about Steve, his music and his work, visit https://hyperfollow.com/stevedavitmusic

UNDERSCORE PROTOCOL:

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. Those who Arrive at 2pm and come to the Assembly shortly thereafter will stay through the conclusion by 4pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice.

[...]

Special Live Music Covid Protocol: Steve will be taking a rapid covid test earlier on 4/29. If negative, he will come and play unmasked. Masks are still required for other participants. If positive, he will abstain. No one else is required to test.

COST: Sliding scale $0-20 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via eventbrite, Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal, or cash. Cash or eventbrite is preferred.

NOTE: Please bring something to write with and on to this meeting.

UNDERSCORE BASICS:

WHAT: Underscore Practice

WHEN: Saturday, April 29 2:00-4:00pm

COST: Sliding scale $0-20 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

REGISTER: https://phillyunderscore022523.eventbrite.com

NOTES: I recommend bringing a water bottle, snacks, something to write on, and something to write with.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com

PLEASE NOTE This 4/29/23 Underscore IS 2:00-4:00pm, NOT 3-5:30pm as originally promoted.

Loren Groenendaal

Apr 24, 2023, 9:58:39 AM4/24/23
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello again Philadelphia area Contact Improvisers,

I have set up a time for a Talk Through: Saturday, April 29, 2023 12:45pm-1:45pm.
This will be in person at Headlong at 1170 S. in the same building as the Underscore a little late 2-4pm.

A prior Talk Through is required for the Talk Through. If you would like to attend the 4/29 12:45 Talk Through, please email me to RSVP.

If you would like to attend the Underscore 2-4pm Sat 4/29, please register here: https://phillyunderscore042923.eventbrite.com

Thanks,
Loren

WHEN: Saturday, April 29, 2023 12:45-1:45pm

WHERE: in person at Headlong, 1170 S. Broad St. Philadelphia, PA 19146

Loren Groenendaal

Apr 28, 2023, 10:47:12 PM4/28/23
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia area Contact Improvisers,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is Saturday, April 29, 2023 2:00-4:00pm in the Rear Studio of Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative and this month will include live music by Steve Davit on saxophone! :)

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore042923.eventbrite.com

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through and I will be offering one just beforehand 12:45-1:45pm.

SPECIAL NOTES:

Advance registration is preferred, but if you miss the noon cut off, please email me and come as there is still space.

The Penn Relays are tomorrow, so if you are coming to South Philly from West Philly and other points west, give yourself extra time for the transit and/or avoid the Spruce/South and 33rd area.

[...]

WHEN: Saturday, April 29 12:45-1:45pm

WHERE: Headlong/Mascher, 1170 S. Broad St. Philadelphia, PA 19146

[...]

Loren Groenendaal

May 7, 2023, 5:36:45 PM5/7/23
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia area Contact Improvisers,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is Saturday, May 13, 2023 3:00-6:00pm in the Rear Studio of Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative.

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore051323.eventbrite.com

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through. I will be offering this just beforehand in person 1:45-2:45pm, email me to RSVP.

[...]

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. Those who Arrive at 3pm and come to the Assembly shortly thereafter will stay through the conclusion by 6pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice.

[...]

I strongly encourage all participants to wear clean garments with long sleeves and pants for minimal skin exposure.

Do NOT attend the Underscore if you have symptoms of COVID, have tested positive for COVID or have a known or possible COVID exposure in the last 10 days, UNLESS you have tested negative at least 5 days after exposure.

Do NOT attend the jam if you have symptoms of Monkeypox Virus (flu, fever, swollen lymph nodes, new skin rash), a current case of MPV, or a known exposure to MonkeyPox in the past 2 weeks.

UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH INFORMATION:

WHAT: Underscore Talk Through

WHEN: Saturday, May 13, 1:45-2:45pm

WHERE: Headlong Mascher Space Cooperative, likely the front lobby, 1170 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19146

[...]

WHEN: Saturday, May 13 3:00-6:00pm

WHERE: Rear Studio at Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative, 1170 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19146

WHO: Loren Groenendaal is facilitating, up to 14 are welcome to register if they have had a prior Talk Through

COST: Sliding scale $0-20 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

REGISTER: https://phillyunderscore022523.eventbrite.com

NOTES: I recommend bringing a water bottle, snacks, something to write on, and something to write with.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com

Streamingly,
Loren

Loren Groenendaal

May 12, 2023, 6:32:57 PM5/12/23
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia area Contact Improvisers,

Tomorrow is a Philadelphia Underscore on Saturday, May 13, 2023 3:00-6:00pm in the Rear Studio of Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative.

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore051323.eventbrite.com

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through. I will be offering this just beforehand in person 1:45-2:45pm if I get email RSVPs by noon.

[...]

WHEN: Saturday, May 13, 1:45-2:45pm IF you sign up in advance by noon on Sat 5/13

[...]

Loren Groenendaal

Aug 21, 2023, 2:36:10 PM8/21/23
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia area Contact Improvisers,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is Saturday, August 26, 2023 2:30-5:00pm in the Rear Studio of Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative.

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore082623.eventbrite.com

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through. Email me here or at LorenTeach...@gmail.com to schedule that.

[...]

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. Those who Arrive at 2:30pm and come to the Assembly shortly thereafter will stay through the conclusion by 5pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice.

[...]

WHEN: Saturday, August 26 2:30-5:00pm

WHERE: Rear Studio at Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative, 1170 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19146

WHO: Loren Groenendaal is facilitating, up to 14 are welcome to register if they have had a prior Talk Through

COST: Sliding scale $0-20 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

Loren Groenendaal

Aug 26, 2023, 10:18:41 AM8/26/23
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hi Philly movers,

Today's Underscore is cancelled due to lack of enrollment.

Have fun going "down the shore" or whatever else you are doing today!

Fall Underscore schedule is still TBD and TBA.

More later,
-Loren