Underscore on Saturday 8/22 6-8pm, registration is required

Loren Groenendaal

Aug 16, 2020, 9:39:49 PM8/16/20
to ContactImprovPhilly
Dear Philadelphia Contact Improvisation community,

I will be hosting another outdoor underscore this Saturday and a Talk Through on Zoom on Friday.
Both events require advance registration.
See more information below.

Thank you,
Loren

WHAT: UNDERSCORE PRACTICE
WHEN: Saturday, August 22nd 6-8pm
WHERE: Park in South Philly to be announced once you register
WHO: Any mover who has had a Talk Through, registers, and has no covid symptoms with a maximum capacity of 25 people.
HOW MUCH: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made on Eventbrite or via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

If transportation is a potential issue for you, you may email Loren to ask about the location prior to registering.

WHAT IS THE UNDERSCORE?

The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection, and various physical/mental states. We (do our best to) commit to participating in the entire score (which includes resting, eating, digesting, observing, bonding with the earth).

Nancy Stark Smith, who originated the practice, describes it this way: "The Underscore is a vehicle for incorporating Contact Improvisation into a broader arena of improvisational dance practice; for developing greater ease dancing in spherical space—alone and with others; and for integrating kinesthetic and compositional concerns while improvising. It allows for a full spectrum of energetic and physical expressions, embodying a range of forms and changing states. Its practice is familiar yet unpredictable." More info: http://nancystarksmith.com/underscore

NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR OUTDOOR UNDERSCORE IN A PANDEMIC:

Although the Underscore Practice is a form historically based in Contact Improvisation, we will not be touching to prevent transmission of the corona virus. There are many other ways to safely engage with the other movers and our environment. You can learn more in the Talk Through.

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. I hope that those who come to the Assembly at 6:00pm will stay through the conclusion at 8:00pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice. However, in these stressful times of Covid-19 pandemic and the odd circumstances of outdoor dancing, I ask us all to be understanding with ourselves and others, if we or another participant is unable to commit to the full event.

We will be practicing physical(social) distancing. There will not be touch (contact improvisation). All participants must be at least 6 feet apart in any given moment unless they are already in a quarantine pod/team/household together.

Participants must bring a cloth or paper mask to prevent viral transmission.

Participants must wear their masks if they are 12 feet or less away from another person. Participants may remove their mask if they are more than 12 feet away from others.

All participants need to have participated in an Underscore Talk Through prior to the Underscore Practice. Details on that below.

WHAT: UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH
WHEN: Friday, August 21, 2020 5:30pm-6:30pm EDT
WHERE: on Zoom, link will come in email when you register
WHO: If you haven't had a talk through and would like to participate in the Underscore
REGISTRATION REQUIRED at by Thursday 8/20 9pm EDT= https://muhlenberg.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEkceGupj8tEtNEZuyzYnc3W38elnkY9-50

WHY: The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The talk through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore talk through before, you should attend. The talk through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

NOTE: If no one registers for this Talk Through by 9pm on Thursday, August 20, it will NOT be held.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com

Loren Groenendaal
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Freelance Teaching Artist as Loren Teaches Movement
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance
Founding Member, Curator of Impermanent Society of Philadelphia
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space Cooperative

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured Atlas to support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.

Loren Groenendaal

Sep 19, 2020, 11:58:16 AM9/19/20
to ContactImprovPhilly
Dear Philadelphia Contact Improvisation community,

The next Underscore will be Saturday, September 26 3-5 with a Talk Through available on Zoom on Thursday 9/24 at 5:30-6:30pm. Both events require advance registration. The location of the Underscore will likely be a park in west philly, but this is weather dependent.

See more information below.

Also, if you are interested, please save the following dates for upcoming Underscores in Fall 2020. These locations are TBD.

Saturday, October 24 2-4pm (4th, NOT last Sat)
Saturday, November 21 1-3pm (3rd Sat)
Saturday, December 19 1-3pm (3rd Sat)

Thank you,
Loren

WHAT: UNDERSCORE PRACTICE
WHEN: Saturday, September 26, 2020 3:00-5:00pm
WHERE: Park in West Philly to be announced once you register (weather permitting)
[...]

WHEN: Thursday, September 24 5:30-6:30pm

WHERE: on Zoom, link will come in email when you register
WHO: If you haven't had a talk through and would like to participate in the Underscore

WHY: The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The talk through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore talk through before, you should attend. The talk through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

NOTE: If no one registers for this Talk Through by 7pm on Wednesday, September 23, it will NOT be held.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com

Loren Groenendaal

Sep 23, 2020, 10:28:49 PM9/23/20
to ContactImprovPhilly
Dear Philadelphia Contact Improvisation community,

The Thursday jam is on a hiatus for at least this week (Th 9/24). We are considering how often to offer Thursday Zoom jams and will get back to you soon.

Also, THIS Thursday, September 24, I (Loren) will be hosting an Underscore Talk Through 5:30-6:30pm on Zoom.

This Talk Through is in preparation for this Saturday's Underscore (9/26 3-5pm).

Both events require advance registration. The location of the Underscore will likely be a park in west philly, but this is weather dependent.
See more information about Underscore below.

Sunday 9/27 class 1-3pm will be at Lemon Hill led by Curt Haworth and myself. We aim to continue this class outside weather permitting until its too cold.
More information coming in another email.

Thank you!
Hoping to connect with you soon,
[...]

NOTE: There are registrants for this Talk Through, so it IS happening. You still need to register in advance, but it could be the minute before.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds.

Payments may be made on Eventbrite or via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

SAVE-THE-DATES FOR UPCOMING UNDERSCORES:

Saturday, October 24 2-4pm (4th, NOT last Sat)
Saturday, November 21 1-3pm (3rd Sat)
Saturday, December 19 1-3pm (3rd Sat)

Loren Groenendaal

Oct 17, 2020, 7:44:52 PM10/17/20
to ContactImprovPhilly
Dear Philadelphia Contact Improvisation community,

The next Underscore will be Saturday, October 24 1-3pm with a Talk Through available on Zoom on Thursday 10/22 at 5:30-6:30pm. Both events require advance registration. The location of the Underscore will likely be in Fairmount park near the Centenial District, but this is weather dependent. Exact location will be announced after you register.

See more information below.

Also, if you are interested, please save the following dates for upcoming Underscores in Fall 2020. These locations are TBD.

Saturday, November 21 1-3pm (3rd Sat)
Saturday, December 19 1-3pm (3rd Sat)

Thank you,
Loren

WHAT: UNDERSCORE PRACTICE
WHEN: Saturday, October 24, 2020 1:00-3:00pm
WHERE: Fairmount Park, exact location to be announced once you register (weather permitting)
[...]

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. I hope that those who come to the Assembly at 1:00pm will stay through the conclusion at 3:00pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice. However, in these stressful times of Covid-19 pandemic and the odd circumstances of outdoor dancing, I ask us all to be understanding with ourselves and others, if we or another participant is unable to commit to the full event.

We will be practicing physical(social) distancing. There will not be touch (contact improvisation). All participants must be at least 6 feet apart in any given moment unless they are already in a quarantine pod/team/household together.

Participants must bring a cloth or paper mask to prevent viral transmission.

Participants must wear their masks if they are 12 feet or less away from another person. Participants may remove their mask if they are more than 12 feet away from others.

All participants need to have participated in an Underscore Talk Through prior to the Underscore Practice. Details on that below.

WHAT: UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH
WHEN: Thursday, October 22 5:30-6:30pm

WHERE: on Zoom, link will come in email when you register
WHO: If you haven't had a talk through and would like to participate in the Underscore

WHY: The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The talk through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore talk through before, you should attend. The talk through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

NOTE: If no one registers for this Talk Through by 7pm on Wednesday, October 21, it will NOT be held.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com

Loren Groenendaal

Oct 23, 2020, 2:42:19 PM10/23/20
to ContactImprovPhilly
Dear Philadelphia Contact Improvisation community,

The next Underscore is tomorrow Saturday, October 24 1-3pm.

As we are mostly doing non-contact improvisation in covid times, the Underscore has been a wonderful container for our dancing with community, ranging from playful to deep and all kinds of things in between. We are also bonding with the earth in new ways through our outdoor sites.

The location of the Underscore will likely be in Fairmount park near the Centennial District. More details on the location will be revealed after registration and even more detailed directions in email tomorrow morning.

If you have had a Talk Through, you are invited to join us. The capacity of this event is 25. First come first serve. Register here:

If you have not had a Talk Through yet, please reach out to Loren for one and we hope you can join us next month on  Saturday, November 21 1-3pm (3rd Sat)

[...]

Loren Groenendaal

Dec 7, 2020, 10:04:34 PM12/7/20
to ContactImprovPhilly
Dear Philadelphia Contact Improvisation community,

The next Underscore will be Saturday, December 12 1-3pm with a Talk Through available on Zoom on Friday 12/11 at 5:30-6:30pm. Both events require advance registration. The location of the Underscore will likely be outside in Northwest Philly, but this is weather dependent. The exact location will be announced by Friday evening to those who have registered.

See more information below.

Thank you,
Loren

WHAT: UNDERSCORE PRACTICE
WHEN: Saturday, December 12, 2020 1:00-3:00pm
WHERE: Fairmount Park, exact location to be announced once you register (weather permitting)
MORE INFO and REGISTRATION: https://phlunderscore121220.eventbrite.com
INVITE YOUR FRIENDS: https://fb.me/e/3Ix42yFxt
[...]

If it is very cold, we may end at 2:30, so please arrive promptly at 1:00. Or, if the weather is too inclement, we may move the Underscore to Zoom.

We will be practicing physical(social) distancing. There will not be touch (contact improvisation). All participants must be at least 6 feet apart in any given moment unless they are already in a quarantine pod/team/household together.

Participants must bring a cloth or paper mask to prevent viral transmission.

Participants must wear their masks if they are 12 feet or less away from another person. Participants may remove their mask if they are more than 12 feet away from others.

All participants need to have participated in an Underscore Talk Through prior to the Underscore Practice. Details on that below.

WHAT: UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH
WHEN: Friday, December 11 5:30-6:30pm

WHERE: on Zoom, link will come in email when you register
WHO: If you haven't had a talk through and would like to participate in the Underscore

WHY: The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The talk through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore talk through before, you should attend. The talk through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

NOTE: If no one registers for this Talk Through by 9pm on Thursday, December 10, it will NOT be held.