Underscore is TOMORROW Saturday 11/19 3-6pm

Loren Groenendaal

Nov 18, 2022, 7:31:17 PM11/18/22
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philadelphia Contacters,

This next Underscore in Philadelphia is TOMORROW Saturday, November 17, 2022 3-6pm. We will meet in the Rear Studio at Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative

The Underscore requires prior registration at https://phillyunderscore111922.eventbrite.com.

The Underscore also requires a prior Talk Through. If you haven't had a talk through yet, please save the date for the next underscore which is Saturday, December 10th 2-5pm and email me to set up a talk through.

WHAT IS THE UNDERSCORE?

The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection, and various physical/mental states. We (do our best to) commit to participating in the entire score (which includes resting, eating, digesting, observing, bonding with the earth).

Nancy Stark Smith, who originated the practice, describes it this way: "The Underscore is a vehicle for incorporating Contact Improvisation into a broader arena of improvisational dance practice; for developing greater ease dancing in spherical space—alone and with others; and for integrating kinesthetic and compositional concerns while improvising. It allows for a full spectrum of energetic and physical expressions, embodying a range of forms and changing states. Its practice is familiar yet unpredictable." More info: http://nancystarksmith.com/underscore

UNDERSCORE PROTOCOL:

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. Those who Arrive at 2pm and come to the Assembly shortly thereafter will stay through the conclusion by 5pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice.

YOU MUST REGISTER via this eventbrite to participate in the UNDERSCORE.

A prior UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH is required to participate in the Underscore. More about this below.

Street shoes and Food are not permitted in the dance studios. You may snack in the lounge or outside.

HEALTH /COMMUNITY CARE PROTOCOL:

Capacity is limited to 15 people.

I strongly encourage you to wash your hands once you arrive to the building and after the Underscore before you leave.

Masks are required. (Participants may briefly unmask to drink water if 6 feet or more away from others. There is an outdoor courtyard that will allow for even more space.)

Touch with consent is permitted.

I am prepared to do contact tracing. If a participant discovers within 7 days after the Underscore that they are positive for covid, monkeypox or another infectious disease that could have transmission in the Underscore setting, please email lorenteach...@gmail.com and we will let the rest of the group know about their possible exposure.

Since September 2022, Covid-19 Vaccination is encouraged, but not required.

I strongly encourage that all participants wear clean garments with long sleeves and pants for minimal skin exposure.

Do NOT attend the Underscore if you have symptoms of COVID, have tested positive for COVID or have a known or possible COVID exposure in the last 10 days, UNLESS you have tested negative at least 5 days after exposure.

Do NOT attend the jam if you have symptoms of Monkeypox Virus (flu, fever, swollen lymph nodes, new skin rash), a current case of MPV, or a known exposure to MonkeyPox in the past 2 weeks.

UNDERSCORE BASICS:

WHAT: Underscore Practice

WHEN: Saturday, November 19 3-6pm

WHERE: Rear Studio at Headlong via Mascher Space Cooperative, 1170 S. Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19146

WHO: Loren Groenendaal is facilitating, up to 14 are welcome to register if they have had a prior Talk Through

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

REGISTER: https://phillyunderscore111922.eventbrite.com.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com

Streamingly,
Loren

Loren Groenendaal
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance
Adjunct Professor at Muhlenberg College
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space Cooperative

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured Atlas to support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.