jumping edges with Elizabeth Weinstein and marion storm

1 view

Curt Haworth

Nov 14, 2022, 1:13:18 PM11/14/22
to ContactImprovPhilly

jumping edges

A two day somatics & sensing workshop at Tinicum/John Heinz Wildlife Refuge and Headlong

with Elizabeth Weinstein and marion storm

Thursday November 17

Tinicum/John Heinz Wildlife Refuge

10AM - 1:30PM

Part 1 of our workshop will take place at Tinicum/John Heinz Wildlife Refuge, in the wetlands. It will last approximately 3 hours, including a hot soup lunch prepared by Elizabeth and storm. Arrival guidance, practical information, and exact location will be sent to registered participants the week prior.

Saturday November 19

Headlong

1170 S. Broad Street

9:30AM - 12PM

Part 2 of our workshop, a time for processing in the body what we found in our walk thru Tinicum, unfolds at Headlong on Saturday morning.

Highway and airport zones, and the ecological edge spaces that are often nearby, are a place of human and more-than-human transit: we will tune into these crossings, migrations, arrivals & departures, learning from them and bearing witness, by taking this improvisatory walk through the Tinicum wetlands. Moving & being moved, observing and activating attention in this fecund place. Elizabeth and storm arrive with a program of scores, practices, and discussion exercises to ground us where we are, open our senses and fields of attention, and guide us through the first part of this 2-day workshop. The in-studio conclusion at Headlong Saturday morning is processing time. A time and space to gather, in comfortable clothes and with journals and pens, registering our findings in the body - in our bodies, in our collective body, and perhaps even in the body of work each participant carries with them into this space. We are inspired by the transit implied by avulsion : the moment after the river jumps her banks, when she comes back but is no longer the same. What does that look and feel like in the body? How do we fall into place together, and listen to what’s already active there?

All are welcome. We look forward to meeting you and walking, moving, and talking with you. We propose that this workshop can amplify your own curiosities and sense of research and awareness in relation to body and place.

RSVP!

Please reserve a place - for one or both days of jumping edges by Saturday November 12, to elizabeth.alex...@gmail.com and let us know any transportation, accessibility, and dietary needs. We are excited to welcome you and will be in touch shortly after receiving your RSVP! You may register for only one day of the workshop if it is not possible to arrive to both places & times. Please let us know in your RSVP if that is the case.

Sliding Scale  : $ 0 - 75

Pay what you can! Your workshop fee will go directly towards our teaching and materials fees, including a hot lunch at Tinicum on day 1 of jumping edges and follow up materials after the conclusion of the workshop. No one will be turned away for lack of funds. Payable in cash, upon arrival, or with Paypal in advance.

Elizabeth Weinstein is a full spectrum doula, dancer, and improviser living and working in Philadelphia/Lenni Lenape land. Her work focuses on the embodied possibilities of life bringing through birth work, movement, education, advocacy, collaboration and performance. She is on the advisory board of The Philly Doula Co-op, a member of Inner Circle Midwifery’s Doula Circle and Maternity Care Coalition’s community doula program and is a guest lecturer at Temple University’s School of Public Health, teaching about the impact of doulas in reducing negative maternal health outcomes. She also teaches workshops on Deep Listening, Moving, and Improvising for Childbirth in collaboration with dance artist and choreographer Leah Stein. As a performance artist, Elizabeth has performed with Tall Order, Myra Bazell/SCRAP Performance Group, allendance, Lily Kind/PIDGIN, Polyglot (Australia), Hua Hua Zhang’s Visual Expressions (Philadelphia and Taiwan), Atsushi Takenouchi (Italy), worked as a teaching artist for HIAS PA’s refugee youth arts program, a site manager for Mural Arts’ Monument Lab, and has been an artist in residence at The Chocolate Factory, Earthdance and The Sable Project. Recent creative collaborations include Those With 2 Clocks, and Flood Drafts: A Field Guide for Sensuous Repair published in collaboration with storm and the Hungry Mothers Collective. Elizabeth believes in the power of the birthing body and insists that all people have the right to high quality, trauma informed, family centered care in all settings.

marion storm is a dance artist based in Montpellier, France. storm’s dance projects have been presented by Exponential Festival, AUNTS, La Mama Moves! Festival, and Brooklyn Art Book Festival, at Target Margin Theater, DanceRoulette, Center for Performance Research, and McCarren Pool in New York City (plus non-presented pop up performances including a slow walking performance on the original 3 blocks of Wall Street at rush hour…), and most recently at the Centre Choregraphique National of Montpellier and 3 bis f Center for Arts in Occitanie, France. storm was recipient of a Foundation for Contemporary Arts Emergency Grant for her collaboratively built performance and symposium resistance fantasies: strategies for moving toward– and against– (NY) in 2019, and was awarded an Artistes dans la cité scholarship by Fondation Hermès in 2019-2021 for her studies at Master exerce. storm began to choreograph dance in 2010 at The New School University, on Lenapehoking land, in New York City.

Elizabeth and storm returned from a movement & sound-oriented creation residency this summer at The Chocolate Factory (Queens, NY) with the Hungry Mothers Collective members lisa nevada, Tyler Rai, and Jiordi Rosales, and are excited to continue to share some of our inquiry and practice across time and space.

--

Curt Haworth

Choreographer-Improviser-Teacher

Professor, University of the Arts