Underscore THIS Saturday 11/13/21 1-3pm

Loren Groenendaal

Nov 9, 2021, 8:52:02 PM11/9/21
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philly Contacters,

You are invited to the next Underscore, which will be November 13, 2021 1-3pm, outside near Shofuso Japanese House in Philadelphia.
Exact location is announced after you register and confirmed via email the morning of the event.

Pre-Registration for Underscore is required, also more info at: https://phlunderscore111321.eventbrite.com

The Covid-19 pandemic is being managed more effectively and many Philadelphians are fully vaccinated, so our covid protocol is evolving allowing for touch for some. Both the Underscore practice and the Underscore Talk Through require registration. See more details below.

WHAT IS THE UNDERSCORE?

The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection, and various physical/mental states. We (do our best to) commit to participating in the entire score (which includes resting, eating, digesting, observing, bonding with the earth).

Nancy Stark Smith, who originated the practice, describes it this way: "The Underscore is a vehicle for incorporating Contact Improvisation into a broader arena of improvisational dance practice; for developing greater ease dancing in spherical space—alone and with others; and for integrating kinesthetic and compositional concerns while improvising. It allows for a full spectrum of energetic and physical expressions, embodying a range of forms and changing states. Its practice is familiar yet unpredictable." More info: http://nancystarksmith.com/underscore

NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR OUTDOOR UNDERSCORE IN A WANING PANDEMIC:

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. I hope that those who come to the Assembly at 1:00pm will stay through the conclusion at 3:00pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice. However, in these stressful times of Covid-19 pandemic and the odd circumstances of outdoor dancing, I ask us all to be understanding with ourselves and others, if we or another participant is unable to commit to the full event.  However, it is very important to come on time to participate in the opening Assembly when you can voice your boundaries and interests and listen to those of others.

Until summer 2021 with more vaccination, we have been practicing the Underscore without touch and other covid transmission prevention protocol for a year. Now, with so many people vaccinated in our region, we are opening up more options.

Masks are optional for vaccinated dancers.

Touch with consent now be allowed between people that are vaccinated.

Unvaccinated dancers should wear their masks unless they are 12 feet away from others.

Unvaccinated dancers are asked to not engage in touch unless someone in their previously established pod is present and then they may dance with consensual touch with those pod mates.

Do NOT attend if you have any common symptoms indicative of covid-19 or have been exposed to someone who has or you yourself has tested positive for covid-19 in the past 14 days.

You may like to bring a towel, yoga mat, or other fabric to place on the ground for movement close to the ground like Bonding with the Earth and Low Kinesphere.

All participants need to have participated in an Underscore Talk Through prior to the Underscore Practice.

YOU MUST REGISTER via this eventbrite to participate in the UNDERSCORE and receive information about the location. There is a 25 person capacity for this event. First come first serve.

UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH

WHEN: Friday 11/12 3:00pm-4:00pm

WHERE: on Zoom at link TBA when you register at https://muhlenberg.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIvce6sqD4vHdWiXGtCB7n38A6Hp_kq-nSH

Note: This Talk Through will only be offered if there is a positive RSVP by 3pm on Thursday 11/11/21.

WHY: The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The Talk Through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore Talk Through before, you should attend. The Talk Through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via eventbrite, Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal, or cash. Cash or eventbrite is preferred.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com

Streamingly, -Loren

Loren Groenendaal
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance
Adjunct Professor at Muhlenberg College
Freelance Teaching Artist as Loren Teaches Movement
Founding Member, Curator of Impermanent Society of Philadelphia
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space Cooperative

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured Atlas to support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.

Loren Groenendaal

Mar 21, 2022, 11:33:21 AM3/21/22
to ContactImprovPhilly
Hello Philly Contacters,

You are invited to the next Underscore, which will be Saturday, March 26 3-5:30pm, inside in South Philadelphia.

YOU MUST REGISTER via this eventbrite to participate in the UNDERSCORE and receive information about the location. There is a 15 person capacity for this event. First come first serve. Registration/ more info at: https://phlunderscore032622.eventbrite.com

All participants need to have participated in an Underscore Talk Through prior to the Underscore.

Pre-Registration for the Underscore Talk Through on Wednesday, March 23 7-8pm EDT via Zoom is also required:

The Covid-19 pandemic is being managed more effectively and many Philadelphians are fully vaccinated, so our covid protocol is evolving to allow for indoor dancing and touch.
Masks and vaccines are required. More detail below.

[...]

NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR INDOOR UNDERSCORE IN A WANING PANDEMIC:

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. All participants should make their best effort to come to the Assembly at 3:00pm and stay through the conclusion at 5:30pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore.

Covid-19 Vaccination is required. After you register, send a photo of your vax card to LorenTeach...@gmail.com. If you have sent it to me before, I still have it.

Masks are required in the common spaces of the building and the studio. You may briefly unmask to drink water if distanced from others while in the studio. If you want a longer mask break, we have access to an outdoor courtyard.

Do NOT attend if you have any common symptoms indicative of covid-19 or have been exposed to someone who has or you yourself has tested positive for covid-19 in the past 14 days.

WHAT: UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH

WHEN: Wednesday 3/23/22 7:00-8:00pm

WHERE: on Zoom at link TBA when you register at https://muhlenberg.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUtc-6trTgtHdeDGm9Hxv6rYY7byiR3OAkr

WHY: The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The Talk Through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore Talk Through before, you should attend. The Talk Through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

WHO: Loren Groenendaal will facilitate. You may participate if you register.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via eventbrite, Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal, or cash. Cash or eventbrite is preferred.

WHAT: UNDERSCORE

WHEN: Saturday 3/26/22 3:00-5:30pm

WHERE: indoor dance studio in South Philly revealed when you register at https://phlunderscore032622.eventbrite.com

WHO: Loren Groenendaal will facilitate. Up to 14 other people may participate if they have had a talk through, are willing to follow covid-protocol, and have had a Talk Through before.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made via the eventbrite, Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal, or cash. Cash or eventbrite is preferred.