Philadelphia Underscore Sat 3/27 1-3pm EDT OUTSIDE, weather permitting

Loren Groenendaal

Mar 23, 2021, 3:53:40 PM3/23/21
to ContactImprovPhilly
Dear Philadelphia Contact Improvisation community,

Happy Spring! It is much warmer and pleasant out, so the next Underscore will be Saturday, March 27 1-3pm and outside, weather permitting with registration required.

I realize this is Passover and I apologize to those who are celebrating. My schedule was so busy this month that it was either this day or not at all this month. I hope this timing is early enough in the day that you could do both the Underscore and honor the holiday.

The location is yet to be determined, so if you have a need or desire for a location, particularly if it would help you do the Underscore and celebrate Passover, let me know. A reply to this email is great, but I can also accept facebook messages or posts.

A Talk Through is available on Zoom on Friday 3/26 at 5:30-6:30pm, also requiring registration

See more information below.

Thank you,
Loren

WHAT: UNDERSCORE PRACTICE
WHEN: Saturday, March 17, 2021 1:00-3:00pm EDT
WHERE: outside in Philadelphia, exact location TBD
MORE INFO and REGISTRATION: https://phl_underscore032721.eventbrite.com
WHO: Any mover who has had a Talk Through, registers, and has no covid symptoms with a maximum capacity of 25 people.
HOW MUCH: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds. Payments may be made on Eventbrite or via Paypal to LorenGro...@gmail.com or via Venmo @Loren-Groenendaal.

WHAT IS THE UNDERSCORE?

The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection, and various physical/mental states. We (do our best to) commit to participating in the entire score (which includes resting, eating, digesting, observing, bonding with the earth).

Nancy Stark Smith, who originated the practice, describes it this way: "The Underscore is a vehicle for incorporating Contact Improvisation into a broader arena of improvisational dance practice; for developing greater ease dancing in spherical space—alone and with others; and for integrating kinesthetic and compositional concerns while improvising. It allows for a full spectrum of energetic and physical expressions, embodying a range of forms and changing states. Its practice is familiar yet unpredictable." More info: http://nancystarksmith.com/underscore

NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR OUTDOOR UNDERSCORE IN A PANDEMIC:

Although the Underscore Practice is a form historically based in Contact Improvisation, we will not be touching to prevent transmission of the corona virus. There are many other ways to safely engage with the other movers and our environment. You can learn more in the Talk Through.

The Underscore is a carefully held container and an intentional space. This is NOT a come and go jam. We aim to commit to the entire practice together. I hope that those who come to the Assembly at 1:00pm will stay through the conclusion at 3:00pm as it is customary to commit to the full session for an Underscore Practice. However, in these stressful times of Covid-19 pandemic and the odd circumstances of outdoor dancing, I ask us all to be understanding with ourselves and others, if we or another participant is unable to commit to the full event.

If it is very cold, we may end at 2:30, so please arrive promptly at 1:00. Or, if the weather is too inclement, we may move the Underscore to Zoom.

We will be practicing physical(social) distancing. There will not be touch (contact improvisation). All participants must be at least 6 feet apart in any given moment unless they are already in a quarantine pod/team/household together.

Participants must bring a cloth or paper mask to prevent viral transmission.

Participants must wear their masks if they are 12 feet or less away from another person. Participants may remove their mask if they are more than 12 feet away from others.

All participants need to have participated in an Underscore Talk Through prior to the Underscore Practice. Details on that below.

WHAT: UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH
WHEN: Friday, March 26 5:30-6:30pm
WHERE: on Zoom, link will come in email when you register
WHO: If you haven't had a talk through and would like to participate in the Underscore

REGISTRATION REQUIRED by Friday 3/26 1pm EST=  https://muhlenberg.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAtduCuqjwtHdyDk97r9urz3P1UAbOF2q4_

WHY: The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The talk through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore talk through before, you should attend. The talk through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

NOTE: If no one registers for this Talk Through by 1pm on Friday, March 26, it will NOT be held.

COST: Sliding scale $0-15 with no one turned away due to lack of funds.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com

Loren Groenendaal
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Freelance Teaching Artist as Loren Teaches Movement
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance
Founding Member, Curator of Impermanent Society of Philadelphia
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space Cooperative

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured Atlas to support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.

Loren Groenendaal

Mar 26, 2021, 7:28:34 PM3/26/21
to ContactImprovPhilly
Dear Philadelphia Contact Improvisation community,

Happy Spring!  We should have lovely weather tomorrow (Saturday, March 27 1-3pm) for an outdoor Underscore. I hope you can join us!

Tomorrow's Underscore will be outside in FDR Park in South Philly. Exact location and more detailed directions will be emailed to you after you register.

Registration by 10am on Sat 3/27 is required at https://phl_underscore032721.eventbrite.com.

I realize this weekend is Passover and I apologize to those who are celebrating. My schedule was so busy this month that it was either this day or not at all this month. I hope this timing is early enough in the day that you could do both the Underscore and honor the holiday.

[...]

All participants need to have participated in an Underscore Talk Through prior to the Underscore Practice. If you have not had a Talk Through, one will be offered in April preceding the next Underscore.

QUESTIONS: LorenGro...@gmail.com or LorenTeach...@gmail.com