SAVE THE DATE, Sat, Oct 16: An actual-real-IRL contact improvisation class in a dance studio

Nicole Bindler

Sep 23, 2021, 5:27:12 PM9/23/21
to ContactImprovPhilly
Dear all, I'm writing to invite you to an upcoming CI class. Please see below for details and don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. xo, -Nicole

An actual-real-IRL contact improvisation class in a dance studio with Nicole Bindler
Saturday, October 16th from 12:00-1:30pm (with an optional hour of additional jam time)
The Whole Shebang, 1813 South 11th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19148*

Pay-what-you-can, $1-35, preregistration required/only 9 spots available!
To register reply to this email: nicole...@gmail.com
|This class is for vaccinated attendees and masks are required|

Class info:
This 90 minute CI class will offer an opportunity for us to (re)connect with our partner-dancing-selves on a beautiful, sprung, heated floor (inside!) a cozy dance studio. We will play with the basic skills of touching, rolling, falling (big and small), and gently engaging the reflexes. You are welcome to bring an exclusive partner who you want to work with throughout the class, or you can dance in multiple partnerships that spontaneously form in class. Either way, our time together will have a strong emphasis on consent, using our words, and mutual negotiation. Class will run for 90 minutes with a closing circle and the option to stay for more open dancing afterwards if you wish.

Safety info:
This class is for vaccinated attendees and masks are required. You must show your vaccine card to enter class. There are air purifiers in the studio and we'll open the exterior double doors as much as the weather allows for ventilation. Obviously, if you feel sick the day-of, don't come! You'll get a full refund.

About Nicole:
Nicole Bindler is a dance-maker, Body-Mind Centering® practitioner, writer, and activist. She has been presented at festivals, conferences, and intensives throughout the U.S., Canada, Argentina, and Europe, and in Tokyo, Beirut, Bethlehem, Mexico City, and Quito. Recent projects include teaching about consent culture and disability justice in contact improvisation; somatic research on the embryology of the genitalia from a non-binary perspective; collaborations with Diyar Theatre in Bethlehem, Palestine; teaching experimental classes such as Embodying Neuroqueer/Neuroqueering Embodiment and Polyvagal Theory and Protest through freeskewl; and presentations at the Future of CI Conference and the BMCA Online Somatic Symposium about rebuilding in-person dance and somatics communities in ways that tangibly address the inequities laid bare by the pandemic. In the coming year––goddess and pandemic-willing––she will present her work at Asociacion Cultural Guandul in Quito, The Body IQ Festival in Berlin, Somatic Kin in Bern, the Sandberg Instituut in Amsterdam, and through Contact Improvisation Warsaw. https://www.nicolebindler.com/

*The Whole Shebang dance studio can be accessed through the rear entrance of the building, which is accessed through the SS. Neumann & Goretti High School parking lot on Moore Street, between 10th and 11th, and is open 24 hr.